What's new

Need some screen advice (1 Viewer)

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Hi

As you may have read in another post, I sold my TV and I am going to buy a Infocus Screenplay 4805 projector. I am on a tight budget (in the $200 to $250 range). I would like to get a screen instead of using the wall, but I really have no idea what is good and what isn't. It seems like the pull down screens are the cheapest. I am a little leary about those. Do the stay flat enough for viewing or do the edges curl up? Are they better then the wall? Anything else I should be watching for? I like the idea of pull down, because I can hang movie posters behind the screen and raise it when it isn't in use. If the pulldown screen sacrifices quiality I don't need it that bad. I am thinking that I need a 16:9 screen that measures around 90" to 100" diagonal.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Frank, from what I've read most pulldown screens develop wrinkles. But, a lot of guys seem to like the Dalite Model B screen. You can read about it at Avsforum.com. Or you can buy the screen material from Dalite or one of the other companies and build your own frame.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I've got a Da-Lite Model B "Video Spectra" that should be within your budget. I've been happy with it.

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Cool, I was just thinking about buying a screen with my projector as a package deal, but now I am thinking that I may use the wall to make sure the size and everything suits my needs. I can order a screen later.

Philip, Where did you buy yours?

Do you guys have any links handy for instructions about building your own screen.

Thanks

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I used the wall for months before I decided what size screen to get. HIGHLY recommended strategy!!!!!!

I got mine as a gift.... Originally bought at B&H Photo Video. Projector is an X1. There is some wavyness but I don't mind it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks