Need some RPTV Advice for a 2nd Floor Apt

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Will Hurst, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Will Hurst

Will Hurst Auditioning

Having recently moved into a 2nd floor apartment I have found myself in a dilemma. My current living room setup puts my viewing distance from the couch to where I wish to put a TV at is 13 feet.

My thoughts were originally to go with a Mits 48313 or 55313 after seeing my father's 65315 in action. However this presents a large issue of transporting the beast from my apt when I move. Granted the 48" will be easier but I'm left to wonder if a CRT based TV would be better to go with minus the long viewing distance.

I looked at going with a FP type setup (InFocus 4085) however I won't be able to mount it in the ceiling and would also have to run the coaxial cable acros the floor (main traffic area) or across the ceiling as it's placement isn't near the coaxial outputs in the room. My daily watching habits would be a very liberal 4 hours so that would be 1500 hrs a year on the bulb but I can take having to replace a bulb every year and a half or more for not having to move a TV weighing more than me. [​IMG] Ambient light isn't too much of an issue as I chose my apt based on what rooms got the most light (bedroom and living room with no direct light [​IMG]). My walls are texture and are a cream color but I can definitely DIY on the screen.

My budget isn't set in stone but I'd like to stay around $1500 (DVD player and speakers in a box (cheap and easy for an apt) are coming as well). My main viewing habits, in priority, are WS DVD, HD channels (once I recieve an HDTV as I have 40 or so I believe [​IMG]), XBOX, and then normal cable viewing (I didn't mind having to mess around with the displays on the 65315 to get a decent 4:3 pic on a 16:9).

I'm not set on the Mitsu but I've seen it in action and have all of the major stores around me here in Charlotte, NC to check out most other sets.

Any advice, questions, etc. greatly appreciated. TIA

2. Will Hurst

Will Hurst Auditioning

Forgot to include that the available wall space is 8'x7'10" (WxH).