What's new

Need Some Resume Advice (1 Viewer)

TomF

Stunt Coordinator
Today is the first day of my job search. I put together a small Web site around my resume. I got a call from a recruiter today who was concerned I might be presenting myself in too general a manner. She suggested a chronological approach would be easier for potential employers to sift through rather than my functional approach.
I'm too close to it to be able to see the flaws. If anyone (expert or nonexpert) has any advice/reactions, I would certainly appreciate it. My dream job would be an HR communications or general internal communications position that would hopefully include Web development, such as for an intranet. I would really be happy with a full-time Web job, but I'm afraid they will be pretty scarce right now.
The link is: Link Removed
Thanks much :)
Tom

TomF

Stunt Coordinator
All--

The link is good, but as soon as I put my resume up and send it out to 40 prospects, Road Runner decides to take their server down for maintenance and will not give me any estimate for when it might be back up.

Jason--thank you for your offer for help. Hopefully the site will be back up soon.

Tom

DavidY

Supporting Actor
IMO, a functional type resume is for people with a lot of experience within a specific job type. A chronological resume is more suited for someone who has limited work or varied work experience.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW, I am also on the job hunt.

Dave

TomF

Stunt Coordinator
O.K., it's back up...at least for now :rolleyes
Link Removed
Thanks for the two cents David. I do have a good amount of experience, so I would think the functional does make sense for me. Good luck with your job search too!
Tom

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I would really be happy with a full-time Web job, but I'm afraid they will be pretty scarce right now.
If you lived here, you could have mine. :) I'm moving into systems administration on supercomputers & cluster computing in two weeks. :D
Your resume is too general. Your items under "Web Design, Development and Writing" should be technical, but instead they look like a list of job responsibilities. Instead of listing all of your accomplishments, cut your resume down to one page and list all of your talents. Also, list how many years of experience you have. For instance:
Web development using HTML, JavaScript, Frontpage (5 years)
Graphics design with Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, ImageReady (6 years)
Etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks