Need Some Resume Advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TomF, Jan 2, 2002.

1. TomF

TomF Stunt Coordinator

Today is the first day of my job search. I put together a small Web site around my resume. I got a call from a recruiter today who was concerned I might be presenting myself in too general a manner. She suggested a chronological approach would be easier for potential employers to sift through rather than my functional approach.
    I'm too close to it to be able to see the flaws. If anyone (expert or nonexpert) has any advice/reactions, I would certainly appreciate it. My dream job would be an HR communications or general internal communications position that would hopefully include Web development, such as for an intranet. I would really be happy with a full-time Web job, but I'm afraid they will be pretty scarce right now.
    The link is: http://home.mn.rr.com/tomf/
    Thanks much [​IMG]
    Tom

2. TomF

TomF Stunt Coordinator

Duplicate Post

3. Jason Reich

Jason Reich Stunt Coordinator

Link does not work. I would be happy to look it over for you and give some input.

4. TomF

TomF Stunt Coordinator

All--

The link is good, but as soon as I put my resume up and send it out to 40 prospects, Road Runner decides to take their server down for maintenance and will not give me any estimate for when it might be back up.

Jason--thank you for your offer for help. Hopefully the site will be back up soon.

Tom

5. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

IMO, a functional type resume is for people with a lot of experience within a specific job type. A chronological resume is more suited for someone who has limited work or varied work experience.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW, I am also on the job hunt.

Dave

6. TomF

TomF Stunt Coordinator

O.K., it's back up...at least for now [​IMG]
    http://home.mn.rr.com/tomf/
    Thanks for the two cents David. I do have a good amount of experience, so I would think the functional does make sense for me. Good luck with your job search too!
    Tom

7. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter