Need some reciever recommendations

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by D. Scott MacDonald, Apr 19, 2004.

1. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

Hey guys, I try to keep out of the hardware portion of these forums as much as possible (it makes me want to spend money), but my old Denon 3300 just died after a 4 1/2 year relationship, so I'm looking for some good replacement suggestions.

I don't have a fixed price in mind, but probably something between $1,200 and $2,500, but even this is flexible. I'm tempted by the AVR-5803, but it's a little pricey. The 3805 also looks OK, but in an ideal world I'd like something with HD component switching (I don't NEED this, but it sure would be nice). I also heard good things about Outlaws, but I don't really know anything about them.

I'd really appreciate your suggestions.

2. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Take a look at the new Yammies. They are very well equipped for a great price. If I were looking for a receiver, I'd be eyeing the Yam for sure. I have a kick butt Sony DA4ES that I'm in love w/ for now.

3. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Hey Scott - I'm actually looking to sell my Sony DA4ES - so if you're interested, shoot me a PM or email. [​IMG]

The Sony would be a definite upgrade over the AVR-3300 since it has greater output capabilities 110Wx7 and it has all the latest decoding formats processed by dual 32bit processors.

4. D. Scott MacDonald

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I think that I'm leaning towards a Denon 4802, but I'm still curious about the Outlaws. A co-worker has an outlaw config and he says that he really likes it except that occasionally he will experience an audio dropout on some discs. Has anybody else seen this issue with Outlaws?

Which would people prefer - an Outlaw or a Denon 4802?

5. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I assume your are referring to the Outlaw separates, and not the Outlaw receiver. To me, separates always win out over a receiver, so in the case of the 2 you mentioned, I'd choose Outlaw.

6. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

The Outlaw (pre/pro) is a dated piece of equipment. In your price range (up to 2500) you could do a lot better.

You could choose any one of a dozen sub-$1000 receivers, and match it up to a decent $1500 amp (anthem, rotel, etc).

If you are looking for a combo unit (no separates), and if you liked how your old denon sounded, I do not think you will be happy with the Yamaha or Sony as suggested by others (different sound).

Among the Denons, it comes down to how much power (cost), and how many features (age of model) you need. Since you had an older receiver, and you said that you dont upgrade much, I will assume that a 5-channel system with a modest power level will suit the equipment you already have. In this case, you dont need the power of the flagship (5803) or the features of the latest (3805).

7. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I have the Integra DTR 6.4 and am quite happy with it. At your price point, you could look at the 7.4 and 8.4. All the features you'd need, plenty of connection options.

8. D. Scott MacDonald

Once again, thanks for the feedback. If seperates sound better than an integrated deck, then I can go that way. The only thing I like about the intergrated solutions is that they tend to handle HD component switching better (which isn't a neccesarily a deal killer, but it would be nice to have since my TV is very input-limited).

9. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

If my receiver died after only 4 1/2 yrs I think I'd be looking for a different brand the next time [​IMG]

10. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

That's not necessarily the case. My Rotel has gotten the 200Mhz component upgrade so it definitely will handle any HDTV / Progressive scan that you throw at it.

11. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

The Denon 3805 has 3 component inputs that are switchable at 100mz (more than enough bandwidth for HD stuff)....if I recall correctly the 4802 is at 50mz. The 4802, I'd wager, is going to be replaced pretty shortly. It's a little long in the tooth as is the Outlaw 950. Personally, I don't see much sense in spending todays dollars on yesterdays technology.

Mort

12. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

I suppose you might want to check out the Yamaha RX-Z1 and the Harman Kardon AVR7300.

13. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

He may be pushing his amp too hard. More power might be a consideration. OR he may have [house] electrical problems. Maybe needs a new circuit, box upgrade, or a better conditioner/protector. Yes, something to look into.

14. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Check out a Marantz SR8400. Excellent sound, and component switching. Not sure how much it costs, but I'm fairly sure it is in your price range. Or the SR9300V, it would probably be on the upper end of your price range, it does have a kick arse remote.

15. D. Scott MacDonald

Once again, thanks for all of the feedback. Based on your feedback, I am now leaning toward a separate Rotel RC-1070 preamp and a Rotel RB-1050 amp. This exceeds my rough budget by a couple of hundred, but I'm hoping that I will be insanely happy with them.

I hope this is not the case. I typically do not run it too loud (and the past year it hasn't gotten much use at all due to my one year old). I'm also using a Monster power adapter, which is probably a rip off, but it's supposed to clean the power fed to the receiver. It also is attached to a new 20A circuit with new wiring.

The one thing that I have been doing at the time it broke is burning/testing my own DVDs, so I'm wondering if maybe a bad DVD somehow caused the the receiver to gack on some data that it didn't like. The receiver itself still works with the DVD's PCM input, but it doesn't seem to like bitstream inputs anymore and has a very difficult time syncing with the audio from my HD receiver (sometimes it can and sometimes it can't).

Anyway, do you think that Rotels are a good choice, or can I do significantly better for the same money?