What's new

Need some receiver recommendations (1 Viewer)

Vanessa

Stunt Coordinator
Ok guys, the situation is that the center channel on my Harman Kardon AVR65 has gone out and I'm looking to replace it.

Although I've been happy with the performance and sound quality of the H/K, this is the second time that it has needed repair. I bought it about 3 years ago as a refurb off ubid and it worked just great for the first two years. Late last year a rectifier blew and the receiver went into protect mode; $90 later, it was back in operation. At this point, I figure I need to get it fixed, but then I'm going to sell it. I have no confidence in H/K reliability at this point. (My brother has also had problems with his AVR70.)

I have been avoiding reading this section of the HTF as I didn't feel I really needed to upgrade and all the discussion would just make me think about all the new features, so I feel out of the loop on current receiver offerings. There also seems to be a big push on separates since the release of Outlaw's 950 and the Rotel 1066 - I'm not using "receiver" to exclude that option, just for simplicity.

What I'm looking for is a receiver that will keep me happy for at least the next 5 years. I will spend the money for quality (both feature and sound wise), but not to get wiz-bang features that I'll never use. That leads me to what I'd use it for and the minimum features I need...

I would say I'm equally into movies and music and I also use my receiver when watching TV (DPL2?). However, I just bought a house and am planning, in the next few years to make one room into a dedicated HT with a projector of some sort. I will likely keep a 2-ch setup in the family room where everything is currently set up.

My current speakers are Infinity RS-5 fronts, RS-4 rears, C-3 center, and HPS-250 sub. I am planning on (hopefully) replacing these with Adire 281s during the next year.

I have all the usual things that need connecting: DVD, VCR, DirecTivo, CD, Tape, and Turntable (have a preamp).

I would like it to have an IR control input, if possible, as my stuff is behind doors right now and controlled via Xantech.

Anyway, this is getting really long, and if you've read this far, thank you! If you have any recommendations to pass my way I'd appreciate it!

Vanessa

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Sony DA5ES has been getting alot of talk as of late. Do a search on Sony DA5ES to find out all you need to know. It is an awesome receiver that feature-wise even bests some of the current crop of pre/pros such as the Outlaw and comes w/ a 5 year transferrable warranty. The new HK line is also a great performer.

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
I will throw in my vote for the Rotel 1066.I just ordered the silver and black version.It should be good for the long term being upgradable and it sounds great for H.T and music.Pair it up with a 5 or 7 channel quality amp and your set.I would recommend the Outlaw,but if your not on the waiting list your probably looking at the end of summer.Hope this helps,my $3.2 cents Canadian;)

Vanessa

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin -

The Sony _has_ been getting a lot of talk, searching for it brought up tons of threads! It sounds like it has a lot of good features, but I'm somewhat wary of it due to the POD people vibe I get from some Sony owners. Clearly it's a personal thing, but in the past I thought a lot of Sony stuff was overpriced for what you got - has this changed?

Wayne -

The Rotel and Outlaw preamps both sound really great, but I don't know if I want to pony up all that money right now. And if I did, I think I'd like the Outlaw better. Of course, that wait is a killer!

I guess I feel I'm stuck in a weird position between buying a top end receiver or preamp setup and just getting what I need now and working on other parts of my system. Audio-wise I've been fairly satisfied with what I have, but comparitively, the video side is definately hurting - 27" TV. I think the fact that the receiver features between the mid-level and hi-level offerings are almost the same is just making this harder for me.

What about getting a mid level receiver, like maybe the Yamaha HTR-5560 and driving it with 5-ch amp like the Parasound 855. It seems like this would give me all the latest features and connections I'd need while giving me the benefits of separate amplification at around the same price as some of the cheaper higher end models (like the Sony da5es). Then if I wanted to go to a preamp in a year or two, I'd already have an amp.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Vanessa

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
The receiver that you searched can be had for $780 shipped, and it's amp section is ultra-clean and powerful. Features that other pre/pros and receivers don't have in addition to price make this receiver a no brainer.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Vanessa,
My recommendation would be to hangout at dealerships, future shops and A&B sounds and then head over to more high-end places that sell receivers and seperates. Take a look around, check out the prices and of course listen to them. Of course the salesmen will try to sell you whatever they have but it doesn't hurt to get their opinions either. Just don't commit to anything right away. It seems you do have a critical ear and want to get what's best for you, for now and the future. Take you time and do the research.
However, your idea of getting the 5560 and a parasound is a good one. If you have the cash there's little out there that can compete with a high quality external amp and is a great way to lead into seperates. I'm a Yamaha fan as well so you won't hear any complaints from me on that setup. :) What I did is buy the rx-v2200 with the intent of one day adding an external amp like a Rotel. Basically same idea.
It also depends what features you need and I can't off the top of my head remember what's on the 5560, however the rx-v1200 is also worth considering.
Good luck!
- Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks