What's new

Need some Receiver Gurus Advice: setting up speakers and sub (1 Viewer)

GrahamJW

Stunt Coordinator
Hi:

I have a Sony STR-DE835 Receiver and I am trying to setup a recently purchased subwoofer with the rest of the speakers. Here are the speakers:

Mains and Surrounds:

Boston Acoustics A70T: (used in commercial theaters; meets Dolby Labs ISO2969 curve)

Specifications:

Low Frequency Cutoff (+- 3dB) 45Hz
Nominal Impedance 6 Ohms
Minimum Impedance 4 Ohms
Sensitivity 90dB/2.83v/meter
Crossover Frequency 2000Hz
8" woofer
1 " ferrofluid cooled tweeter
Recommended Power 15-100 watts
Cabinet Finish matte black
Dimensions 610 x 356 x 203 mm 24x14x8"
Weight 11.8Kg (26 Lbs.)

Center: Paradigm C70
Subwoofer: Paradigm PDR 10

The PDR 10 is hooked up from the sub out on the receiver to the LFE in on the PDR 10.

I have read in other threads to set all the speakers to small, set the sub cross over to maximum, and adjust the receiver cross over to 80 Hz. This sounds reasonable, but I don't have (that I know of) the means to adjust cross over frequencies on the Sony STR-DE835. The only adjustments I can make are LFE level (-20 to 0), subwoofer level (-10 to +10), and setting the speakers to small or large.

Also, would a receiver upgrade improve the sound and bass sounds of my current speakers? (you can tell I am a little "green" at this)

I was wondering if anyone could suggest speaker setup? Any information from the gurus would be most helpful.

Cheers...John

James_SCEA

Agent
Graham,

Since your receiver does not have an digital crossover, most often times setting your speakers to small would mean that they're crossed over at about 100 hz. You would still want to open the cross over on the sub all the way, as the crossover on the receiver is more accurate.

If you're looking into purchasing a new receiver, it is possible to increase the sound quality of the speakers such that an digital crossover will let you use the lower end of your mains to complement the sub, and let the sub handle on the extreme lows.

Knowing that the low frequency cut off of your mains is about 45hz, you would be better off digitally sending everything around 45-60hz and below to the sub, and using more of the mains accurate mid bass reproduction. This will make it sound more balanced and a little warmer, with a less "boomy" effect from the sub.

Good luck! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.