What's new

Need some PC game demo suggestions that will run on Win98SE. (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
As you can tell by the following titles, I’m an infrequent PC gamer. Since I started seriously upgrading my HT a few years ago, I rarely use my PC for anything other than paying bills and light web surfing. I did enjoy single-player games like Diablo2 LOD, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, AOE2 & System Shock 2. Any suggestions?

my aging rig:

P4 1.8 (wont o/c)
512mb
GeForce Ti4200 128mb (324/581)
SBLive
dual 80gb HDD's
33.6 dial-up connection (phone line limitation)

Christopher_P

Stunt Coordinator
Half Life (Single player is great and there are a ton of SINGLE PLAYER mods as well as all the great multiplayer mods)

Medal of Honor Allied Assault

Doom 1, 2, and Duke Nukem 3d (there are Win98/opengl ports out and about some of which also work with the demo versions)

Icewind Dale

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2

Diablo 1

C&C Red Alert 1 & 2

Warhammer 40k Dawn of War is actually recent release my laptop (P-M 1.3ghz 512megs of ram 32meg ATI 9200) handles it fine so I think your pc shouldn't have too many problems with it either.

Unreal (just unreal 1 original had some good single player action)

etc..

There is a TON out there thats just a few off the top of my head. As for where to find them check fileplanet (eeww) or http://www.3dgamers.com

You might also download Duke Nukem 3d shareware and try out http://www.planetduke.com/hrp/ . It adds high rez textures, 3d models, better Windows support, etc.. Pretty much it makes it look better and run in windows.

Another idea is to get ahold of shareware versions (or full works with those also) of Doom, Doom 2, Hexen, and Heretic then try out the 'Doomsday' engine. http://www.doomsdayhq.com As with the Duke link above it adds better graphics/models and some new features along with Win support.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Chris: Thanks for the great reply and the links! Used to have HalfLife, Played it all the way through several several times. Awesome game! Unfortunately HL2 is for XP only.

Have Diablo 1, CC Red Alert, Unreal Tournament(played offline)and Baldurs Gate 2. All very good games.

Will Medal of Honor-Allied Assault run on Win98SE?

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Some great suggestions but I'll re-recommend:

Unreal Tournament 1
Half Life
C&C: Red Alert
MOHAA

MOHAA is the most demanding of the four, hopefully it'll play well with your setup.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Hmmm....I didn't know MOHAA would run on 98SE. I'll check into it.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
My mistake, you guys were correct. MOHAA will play on these platforms: Windows 95 / Me / 98 / 2000

Oh...forgot to mention Deus Ex and Max Payne are also two other PC games I finished several times each, that I greatly enjoyed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks