Need some opinions please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JorgeG, Jul 25, 2004.

1. JorgeG

JorgeG Extra

Hi there, my name is Jorge (from Tampa, Fl) and I'm fairly new to the site (which is awesome) as well as to A/V. I've been learning alot from reading all the threads. I see that that there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site so I was going to see if some of you would be good enough to give me your opinions on recommendations for receiver/speakers. Here goes: I'm putting together a HT room which is 14'Wx24'L, cathedral ceilings and wood flooring. I'm pretty much set up for 6.1 with 2 surround and 1 rear center in-ceiling speakers (Speakercraft AIMone 100W/8ohm,sens 88dB). For my 2 fronts, I was thinking of getting either the Martin Logan Ascents(200W/4,1.2@20kHz ohm,35Hz-22kHz, Biwire, sens 90dB) or Aeons (200W/4,1.1@20kHz, 43Hz-22kHz, Biwire, sens 89dB) with the center ML Cinema (250W/6ohms, sens 89dB freq 80Hz-20kHz). These speakers would complete the HT room (I haven't found a sub yet). I would also have a Zone 2 with single zone speakers throughout the house and lanai for a total of 3pair and 1 dual tweeter for total of 7 in-ceiling speakers (Also Speakercraft ranging from 40W to 100W@8ohm, sens88-90dB, freq 40Hz-20kHz). So after reading quite a bit on this site, I quickly realized that I will need separates to make this system sing. I was thinking of getting the Yammie 1400 to run my 2 surround rears and 1 center rear as well as Zone 2 and getting 3 Outlaw Mono Blocks(200Wx1@8ohms) to run my 2 fronts and front center. With that said, does this set up make sense? Will I have enough power to run all of those speaker properly without doing any damage? I know this thread is way tooo long but I really do value your opinions so any comments would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I'm not married to the above components (except in- ceiling speakers already installed) so if you have any diff recs, great. Thanks again.

Jorge

2. Steven_Jobe

Steven_Jobe Stunt Coordinator

Wish I could help, haven't jumped on the "seperates" bandwagon yet. However to my knowledge it sounds like it would work.

3. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

I have no idea what a "Yammie 1400" is... I'm guessing this is a five-channel power amp. Three channels would run the left, center, and right surrounds and the two remaining channels would power zone 2. OK except maybe for zone 2
    I assume that this is three stereo pairs and one pseudo-stereo unit (dual tweeter - probably with dual voice coils on the woofer). This is equivalent to four stereo pairs. You'll need to wire these in series-parallel to maintain a reasonable load impedance.

4. JorgeG

JorgeG Extra

Thanks for the replies. I'm sorry, I should have clarified the receiver as being a Yamaha RX-V1400 (110Wx7). So do you think I should get a separate amp to drive Zone 2 (if so, what kind of specs) or do you think the Yamaha will be powerful enough to do the job along with powering the rear center and 2 surround speaker in the HT room? I would still plan on using the 3 Outlaw Mono Block amps (200Wx1) to drive the 2 fronts and 1 center. By the way, what is your opinion about Martin Logan speakers (Electrostatic technology) vs traditional cone/woofer speakers? Thanks again for the advice, it is very helpful.

Jorge G

5. Dave Milne

Dave Milne Supporting Actor

Jorge,
    OK, now I see. Your plan for using three of the seven "Yammie" channels for rear center and surrounds, and using the remaining four to drive four stereo pairs of "zone 2" speakers seems reasonable. Hopefully, your Yammie is easily configurable so that you can send stereo or mono signal to any channel (instead of 6.1) for zone 2 listening. My Lexicon will do this, but then it features complete independent zone 2 and zone 3 capability.

I have no experience with Outlaw but they seem quite popular with forum members. I have heard various Martin Logan speakers (not all) and have mixed feelings. They have a pleasant, detailed "fast" sound but need to be placed well away from the front wall (like all dipoles). The models I heard seemed a bit thin in the low bass, but with a subwoofer, this might not be an issue. I love the cool "see through" membrane driver, but generally MLs don't have enough output capability for me. Perhaps the big, high-end models are better at this. In my medium-sized, slightly-overdamped theater, I regularly push my large 91 dB/W Dynaudio towers to clipping a Bryston 4BST (400 w/channel @ 4 ohms). I think it's time for the 900W 7BSST monoblocks[​IMG]