Need some opinions on new receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by David_Moechnig, Feb 5, 2004.

1. David_Moechnig

David_Moechnig Stunt Coordinator

I'm using my tax returns to replace my Yamaha HTR-5460 which had a DSP board malfunction. I'm contemplating another Yamaha probably the RX-V1400 or either a Denon AVR-2803 or 3803. Currently I'm using Polk Audio RT35i mains and RTi28 surrounds with a CS245i center channel. I like the Yamaha especially because of the YPAO and video up-conversion. But from what I've read the Denon is better build with higher quality components. I'm going to demo each unit before making a purchase but would like some opinions on what people have encountered with use and nice features that they have. I want to know as much as I can before listening to each receiver as far as features and ease of set-up and use goes even down to remote functionality. Thanks for your input.

2. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

I was recently in the same boat as you. I was considering the Yamaha RX-V2400, Denon 3803, and Harman Kardon AVR525/630. I auditioned the Harman Kardon AVR330 and AVR525 and found the SQ to be very warm (almost muddy). As soon as I heard a few scenes from Gladiator and the last couple of scenes of Titan A.E. on the Yamaha RX-V1400, I had made up my mind. The SQ was very crisp, detailed (bright as some would say) and the surround field (Cinema DSP was enabled) was very impressive. I was so impressed that I didn't even audition the Denon, I figured that I liked the SQ of the Yamaha so much that it would take a lot for the Denon or Harman to impress me.

I bought the Yamaha RX-V2400 and I don't regret my decision at all. The receiver matches very well with my JBL Studio Series speakers, has tons of features, very solid receiver, cool remote, and I haven't even yet tried YPAO! The Yamaha also had a huge price advantage up here in Canada; for the price I paid for the Yammie, I could've only gotten an H/K AVR330/430 or Denon 1804.

3. BillSune

BillSune Agent

Personally i think that the denon's have a better sound quality with the polk speakers ( it is what i've got at home) and i think it would be worth the time to wait for
    the new denon 3805 to come out it will be a very cool receiver with auto callibration and 3 comp. vid ins and 1 out. take a look

Bill