1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Need some new shoes. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Ely, Oct 7, 2001.

1. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

Well ... it's time to buy some new shoes. I haven't started looking around yet, but I was wondering if you guys could recommend certain brands to look at.
    I want a comfortable, casual type of shoe. Definitely not a running shoe or fancy dress shoe. I'll be wearing them to work, and when I get together with friends. My work atmosphere is extremely casual (a lot of people wear running shoes) so they don't need to be fancy at all. Basically, I want a pair of shoes that look nice.
    I rarely ever wear jeans (maybe a couple times in the year). I'll usually wear khakis or something similar.
    So .... any suggestions?

2. Tim Holmes

Tim Holmes Extra

Try the brand ECCO.
    They are not running shoes, they come in many styles which are not fancy. They are, above all, the most comfortable shoes I own, and my wife also wears this brand often and thinks they are the most comfortable she has.
    I think I bought a pair at a Macy's in SF, and I bought my most recent pair at a store called The Walk Shop in Berkeley.
    Tim H

3. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I would second ECCO. But, thier prices are much inflated over other shoes out there. But, they are beyond compare as far as comfort goes.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

4. MikeF

MikeF Stunt Coordinator

If you're going for comfort and have zero concern for style, buy Memphisto. Very expensive, but they simply cannot be beat, short of a custom-made shoe.
    ------------------
    My oh so exciting DVD collection.

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    For casual/skater shoes, I like Airwalk or Vans... both are real comfortable, nice styling, not too expensive... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The So Family Home Theater!
    http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
    You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine

6. Jeremy-P

Jeremy-P Stunt Coordinator

I'll second Airwalk. I love thier shoes. I don't skate, but I wear Airwalks because of their durability, understated style and price. They're comfortable and take lots of abuse. I've seen a bunch of new models in stores, so the older ones might be on sale. I got mine for $30 Canadian, that's a steal considering how expensive shoes can be.

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    jeremyP: Are your airwalks the beige ones from SportsChek? hehe.. i have 2 pairs one was a cheap $30 pair, okay styling, great fit, very comfortable after it was broken in... My other pair is a more expensive $60 CAD shoe, much better style, and way better fit, because it had this like elastic material inside like a sock connected to the shoe... it was like the 2000 Bucky Lasek 3 from Airwalk... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The So Family Home Theater!
    http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
    You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine

8. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    I'm a Timberland fan myself. I've got three pair: one that's 10 years old (I got them in high school!), one that's 6 years old, and one that's 6 months old. With a little polish and TLC, these shoes last forever. And they have many styles in the comfy-casual category.

9. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

I adore my Vans. One of the local stores had a "buy one pair, get the second for half price" sale, and I scored two pairs for $45 or so. These are my favorite shoes that I've ever owned, though I'm...not really the type of person to get excited about that sort of thing...
    ------------------
    My DVD list | My personal site

10. Kolya

Kolya Stunt Coordinator

Why buy shoes? My Birks are the most comfortable footwear I've ever worn.
    Birkenstock Sandals

11. Eric Scott

Eric Scott Second Unit

Comfort and support make a big difference at the end of the day and in the future. I recently bought the Deer Stag (Apex) with a special "sock" that is like walking on sand. ($55 on sale.)

12. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    If you really want casual, you can get a pair of Merrill Aqua Mocs for $30 online... No socks needed, no shoelaces, just slide 'em on and go... Rubber sole, well ventilated upper..
    Actually, they're made for watersports, but hey I like to use them when my leather hiking boots get soaked (they're not waterproof) or just around camp or stuff. Of course, where I work it's all casual and I could get away wearing my bike clothes that I bike to work in but it would look kind of funny... [​IMG]
    Jay
    ------------------
    HUGBEES! My Equipment List
    Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
    Wanna help?

13. Randy_Sh

Randy_Sh Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm...
    I love my Birks sandals for non-office time, but I still gotta wear shoes on the job...so here's my recommendation...
    Birkenstock Footprints...never knew Birks also made shoes...they have a ton of styles, a bit expensive, but they are super comfortable...I love em. I still wear my Doc Martens on occasion (another comfortable shoe) but I prefer these guys...
    Later...

14. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

http://www.fluvog.com/
    One of the girls I lived with in New York got me hooked on John Fluvog's shoes. Wide selection, from hip to dressy. worth a look.
    went in last week and got 2 pair for my GF on a good sale.

15. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Try going to a Roots store near you. Nice thick leather.
    I agree with Timberland too.
    Brent L
    ------------------
    OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
    plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
    MEETS PAGE and register.

16. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Wow, 14 replies, its next to a Twin Peaks post and still no-one has gone 'new shoes' 'new shoes' for alleged comic effect.
    And I like Airwalks as well...

17. Wade

Wade Stunt Coordinator

I'm a Rockport man myself. Their casual shoes are really quite comfortable. I haven't been disappointed with either the comfort or wear from the last three pairs I bought.
    Wade

18. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

I've got a merrell half-clog type dealy and it's the best bloody shoe in the world.
    it's not completely open at the back, but it's only got about a centimeter and a half sticking up. they feel just like slippers and they're so light. You can do anything in them too, I even run in them occasionally.
    Head down to the nearest R+R they have some nice shoes and carry Ecco, Merrell, and Timberland.