Need some new headphones

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Reid K, Jul 4, 2004.

1. Reid K

Reid K Stunt Coordinator

I just recieved 300$ as a grad gift, and iam thinking of spending 100$ of it on a nice pair of noise cancelling headphones since I will be taking public transit to and from university everyday next year. Is this a reasonable budget or should I think of spending a little bit more? Also I really need some suggestions on good headphones to look at since i have no idea what I should look for

2. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug
    Check out Head-Fi. Be forewarned that there may be way more info here than you want or need. Also be forewarned that visiting this site may cause your wallet to bleed profusely. However, if you want definitive info on headphones and headphone amps, this is where you want to be. Good luck!

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

As someone with close to 1,000 posts at head-fi.org, I will echo Doug's warning....you can kiss your wallet goodbye!! :b

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

If you had asked about "regular" headphones — i.e., transducers — this thread would have been moved to the Speakers/Subwoofers section. But since you're asking about noise-cancelling units, the thread has been moved to Accessories. The A/V Sources area is for discussing DVD and LaserDisc players, turntables/tonearms, VHS and D-VHS machines, DTV tuners/decoders, etc.

5. Ray Tsui

Ray Tsui Stunt Coordinator

Sennheiser PXC-250 is a good set with active noise cancellation.

If you want noise isolating ones and don't mind the earplug styles, check out models like the Shure E3C ($180 or so), or Etymolic Etymotic ER-4P ($220 or so) http://www.etymotic.com/ Both will provide excellent sound quality and very good isolation.