What's new

Need some learnin (1 Viewer)

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
Contrast is one of those terms that gets thrown around a lot, but isn't often defined. Here's what I have gathered so far:

Contrast ratio
Measures the difference between the brightest whites and the darkest blacks a display can show. The higher the contrast ratio, the greater the ability of a display to show subtle color details and tolerate ambient room light. Contrast ratio is an important spec for front projectors, as well as flat-panel plasma and LCD TVs.

I've also read that rated contrast and "real world" contrast are two different things. For example, on the FlatTVPeople website they stated Plasmas often have rated contrasts of 3000:1, but in the real world they only get around 200:1. They went on to say that LCD TVs get 450 to 500:1 real world. (non-projection)

In an AVSforum thread I read the Sony GWIII's have a ratio of around 400:1. This was tested by a tech. I've never seen a manufacturer's number. I'm getting the 60" XBR Friday, and was wondering what this reduced contrast ratio might mean for the image and how I might stress the contrast ratio to see if this is something that bothers me.

Direct help or a link would be greatly appreciated. First to post is invited to my house to watch the game!:D

To clarify, first post that enlightens is invited;)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
The ratio is bull shit.

What makes the number large or not is the light measurement from a 0 IRE reading. The best projectors made in the ideal environment may give you 250 to 1.

Some companies chose to measure ratios with the projector off and in a black room (where all projectors emit some lite when projecting black). The measure the 100 IRE reading at 100% contrast without regard to clipping whites, flat gray scale, or measuring from a checkerboard pattern.

Lower ratios, mean less perception of black blacks, which means less perception of 3 dimensionality.

Hope this helped,

BTW, you can come to my home and watch on a 96" screen if interested. :)

Regards

Gregg

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info Gregg. 96" huh? Must be nice to have a light controlled room where you can use a front projector. I'm jealous! Oh, well, I'll be moving in a year or so anyway.

At least HTF has taught me what my next homebuying priorities will be:D

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
My only worry about the XBR is the perception of blacks that you mentioned.

I guess I'll try the opening scene of Star Wars II out on the XBR when she gets set up to see is she can do "SPACE"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks