1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Need Some Laptop Help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Burzynski, Sep 27, 2001.

1. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

I have a female friend who would like to purchase a Laptop. She is NOT PC friendly, I have been given the task of helping her out.
    She wants it for Internet and EMail use. Maybe some occasional word processing. The catch is her budget of $500. I told her that a basic desktop is more in line with her budget, but that just won't do, as a desktop will not make for a pretty room. You see, you can put the laptop away and out of sight when not in use. Go figure.
    I've never shopped for a Laptop before, so I started looking at local retailers and it looks like $1000 is a basic starting point pursuing that avenue. Online searches yielded some models that started around $750. I also saw quite a few refurbs. I would prefer something new and A-stock for her if possible. That way she would get some user support, a warranty, and hopefully, reliable usage.
    A local PC Warehouse does sell some used ones, they had 1 in stock for her price. IBM thinkpad, model # 356x (?). P166, 2GB HD, 24MB ram, W98, modem included. No CD rom. They're asking $450, 1 month warranty. I'm no PC expert, but I think 24MB ram is too low for running W98 and internet surfing, plus I think she'll need at least a CD rom for loading some occasional software.
    Can she find something on her budget? Should we try to stretch it to $600-700? Not very likely though.
    I've been told IBM is reliable, what brands do you think make for a reliable laptop.
    All help is appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Rich B.

2. SteveMc

SteveMc Stunt Coordinator

I have had good experience with Dell and Winbook laptops in the past. I have an IBM now, and its good but i have had to service it 3 times for the same problem. i really don't think you are going t ofind anything in her budget. Maybe a refurb model or old one, but i would advise against getting an old one. $1000 is a good starting point, but yo umight find something a bit cheaper.
    Under WEB SPECIALS at Winbook.com (its a refurb model)
    XLi Pentium II 233 TFT 13.3 16 MB 4.0 GB none 20x CD-ROM Win 98 SE $699
    ------------------
    Crash
    "I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack."
    Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    My dad's friend has this Compaq Aero 8000 HANDHELD PC thats a much smaller version of a desktop... If your friend has a Desktop computer, then it would work, because it has WP, Email and Internet... Its very small, 8.5x10, about 3/4" Thick... I've borrowed it for a couple weeks, and i frequently go on the internet around the house, although its only dialup, you can find a compatible PCMCIA card for it (NE2000 compatible)... Its very versatile, but alot of WINCE Programs arnet compatible with it as its a newer Hitatchi SH4 processor, and most WinCE devices use SH3's...
    But to print and stuff, you need a desktop and ActiveSync it...
    [Edited last by NickSo on September 28, 2001 at 08:35 PM]