1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Need some inputs on SUB's

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ganesh, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Ganesh

Ganesh Agent

I have Boston VR-1 fronts, VR-C center and Axiom QS-8's rear (and an old Aiwa sub) Am looking forward to adding a good SUB to this system of mine. From the reviews here, the most popular ones in the price range I'm looking for are, Adire Audio RAVA, HSU VTF-2, SVS PB-1 ISD. My fronts have pretty good bass (The best crossover setting I like is at 60 Hz) and I'm looking for a SUB that won't intrude much in the music but will play its role in HT. I see that the high end SVS subs get a lot of rave reviews, but is the PB-1 ISD equally impressive in its class? The SVS PB-1 is a little over my price range, but I'm willing to consider it if it's worth the price difference. Adire RAVA is very attractively priced and the VTF-2 seems to be a happy medium. I read that the sub's are quite subjective and very room/placement sensitive, but I would like to get some inputs from you folks before I venture into it.
    Also, is the Velodyne CHT15 in the same the league as the others that I've mentioned?

Thanks

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Ganesh,

Also look into the new STF series from Hsu Research. These should offer great value.

3. Ganesh

Ganesh Agent

The above is from the HSU site in the small section about the STF. I guess this 'variable tuning' gives more control for customization. Is this a required/useful feature? Do the other subs that I've mentioned have this feature?
    BTW, there is very little info on STF subs on HSU site.

4. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

There is more info in their forums.

Yes. SVS also gives you the ability to tune their subs by plugging ports, although I do not know if it is on all their models, and they do not have eq switch for when a port is plugged.

That said, what VTF does is to allow you to set the sub up for either maximum output, or maximum extension. Most people just set it one way and leave it.

5. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

The Rava is a knockout for $399 plus shipping.

I've had mine for just under a week now and absolutely love it. It is tight and tuneful for music (and, more important, NEVER boomy) yet still does a respectable job with home theater. Since movies tend to use a great deal of music in their soundtracks, having a more musical sub is to me more important than sheer brute force.

Unfortunately, my wife said, "Too big" so I'm in the process of trying to downgrade to the Dayton Titanic kit. I've heard there are some good mods (extra cabinet bracing, additional stuffing, etc.) that will bring that unit up to perhaps 95% of the quality of the Rava.

But I don't think you can go wrong with any of the subs on your list. Happy hunting!

6. GrahamJW

GrahamJW Stunt Coordinator

DarrenAlan:

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Darren,

If you buy the Titanic kit, you may want to ask them to remove the boost built into the amp. I think it'll sound more like your Rava that way.

8. DarrenAlan

Thanks Brian! Yes, I've been in touch with Sean H of the Audio Asylum forum who owns a Titanic. He says the key is to order Part #300-794, which does NOT have the bass boost, instead of #300-796, which does. They normally ship the kit with the 796 but will substitute the 794 if asked. But no one is taking me up on my offer to sell the Rava so my wife just might have to live with it. Oh the sorrow!

BTW, I am lusting after a pair of your RAD Micros. Just for the coolness factor if nothing else. If my annual bonus looks better than expected, I might be putting in an order!

Don't even have a system to play them on, I just think they look rad! ;-) Even Wifey likes them. "Why couldn't you have just gotten those?" she asked. Mumbled something about a 3K sq. ft. room and changed the subject.

To John, you're absolutely right. My wife has been pretty tolerant overall -- I don't spend oodles of money, I'm pretty judicious in what I buy in terms of appearance, size, etc., and I keep reassuring her it's among my few hobbies. I don't play the ponies, chase girls or buy toys such as JetSkis or fishing boats, so she puts up with me.

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Darren,

You sound like me. My only real vise is speakers![​IMG] Maybe what you need is a sub that doesn't look like a sub. [​IMG]

.[​IMG]

Concerning the Micros, we've gotten some interesting results with 5 Micros and a small sub in somr rather large rooms. Nothing earth shattering, but loud enough for the wife to ask us to turn it down.

10. DarrenAlan