What's new

Need some input on multi disc DVD players (shuffle mode) (1 Viewer)

Mike Keith

Second Unit
First off I would like to vent about my 13 month old Sony DVP-S7700 DVD player, it is a POS. It died just as soon as the warranty expired, and after 2 trips to a local Sony service center and over $200 worth of repairs it still wouldn’t work (bad pickup assy) and now the entire mother board and power supply is shot, according to the service tech more than 10 parts are bad, so its BER (beyond economical repair). Now I need to buy another DVD player and I’ve been thinking about one of those 5-disc DVD players for no other reason then to make use of the Shuffle play, hoping that it will play my many concert and DTS music DVD’s in shuffle mode the same as a multi disc CD player (random track play).

So here are my questions to those who own one or know how the shuffle play works.

How does the dvd player get past the menu on the shuffle play, will it only shuffle to the next disc’s menu and not directly to a random track?

Will they shuffle DTS music DVD’s, and if so how will it automatically select the DTS audio track, or will it revert to 2-channel PCM?

Is there any dvd players that will do these functions?

RichN

Stunt Coordinator
From the description of the Denon DVM4800 ($1200.00 at Crutchfield):

Random Play: When playing a DVD-Audio disc, Video CD, or audio CD, you can play the tracks in random order. Note: The Random Play function does not work with DVDs.

Repeat Play: "A-B Repeat" allows you to select any portion of a title, chapter, or track and play that portion repeatedly. When playing a DVD-Audio disc, you can repeat the current track, the current group, all discs, or

DVD-Audio discs only. When playing a DVD, you can repeat the current title, the current chapter, all discs, or

DVDs only. When playing a Video CD or an audio CD, you can repeat the current track, a selected disc, all discs, or CDs only.

The DVM1800 ($500.00) doesn't have the same random feature for DVD-Audio disks:

Random Play: When playing a Video CD or an audio CD, you can play the tracks in random order. Note: The Random Play function does not work with DVDs.

Repeat Play: "A-B Repeat" allows you to select any portion of a title, chapter, or track and play that portion repeatedly. When playing a DVD, you can repeat the current title, the current chapter, all discs, or DVDs only.

When playing a Video CD or an audio CD, you can repeat the current track, a selected disc, all discs, or CDs

only.

So I guess the answer to one of your questions is Yes, but you will PAY for it.

RichN

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks