need some input on an onkyo hts650 setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_Su, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Mark_Su

Mark_Su Agent

I've got an Onkyo hts650 coming in this week (my first home theater speaker set!) and I've got a couple of questions concerning it's installation and setup.
    1) As suggested by numerous posts on this forum, I will go out and upgrade the speaker wires with the cheapest 12 gauge wires I can find at Fry's. Three questions; what gauge are the wires that come with the Onkyo, would it be safe for me to paint over my new wires so that they blend in with my wall, and can I use banana plugs with the Onkyo?
    2) I plan on mounting the two rear speakers on my wall since I have no other place to put them. Would this
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=4531&DID=7 wall bracket fit the speakers? Can anyone recommend any others in the same price range?
    3) The subwoofer. Do I need a different type of cable other than regular speaker wire? Any recommendations?
    I'm planning to save money and buy all my cables generic and I assume that this is the frugal, but just as safe, way to go. Also, do I need one of those configuration disks (AVIA or something like that)? I've been lurking on these boards for the past week and it has been by far the most informative place I have been to regarding Home Theatre. Thanks in advance for any assistance any of you can provide.
    -Mark

2. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

1. The gauge should be 22. The right banana plugs will work(I think)
    2. I don't know
    3.they should probide the correct cable with the system if you want to you can go to accessories4less.com and get a longer sub cable but it is not necessary. BTW if you need a lot of cables buying these "technically better" cables is often cheaper than those inthe store. The cheapest optical cable at KMART is $20. the AR Pro series at A4Less is $8 or something like that.

3. Mark_Su

Mark_Su Agent

Thanks a lot Ryan. Do you know if it would be safe to paint over the wires?

4. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

The rear speakers have "keyhole" attachments, and while I can't tell looking at those brackets, the odds are you'll be able to get them working.

Painting over the wire should generally be okay.

The correct cable is essentially a well-shield (and often long) audio cable with RCA jacks on both sides (usually called a subwoofer cable). They do include one, but it's fairly low quality (not unlike the included speaker wire).

Me

5. jeff.wright

jeff.wright Auditioning

For my configuration, I installed these side-clamp speaker mounts from B-Tech.
    [​IMG]
    Available at Crutchfield

6. Mark_Su

Mark_Su Agent

7. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I have the speaker set (SKSHT-500) that comes with the Onkyo-650 (the speakers are available separately & I have them paired with a different reciever). The speaker wire that comes with the speaker set is quite thin and fragile (it works, but I wouldn't recommend it) I replaced all of it (at Radio Shack, which doesn't have the best speaker wire in the world, but a decent selection & affordable prices) with 18-gauge wire, which really wasn't very expensive at all.

8. Wayne Clark

Wayne Clark Agent

Ryan, What is 'A4Less'. I can't find this site. let me know, thanks. Wayne.

9. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

10. Wayne Clark

Wayne Clark Agent

perfect Tim. Thank you, Wayne.