need some info on the sony ce 775 <keith>

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobertGeo, Apr 10, 2002.

1. RobertGeo

RobertGeo Agent

i have a pioneer pd m426 6 disc cd player. its on its way out and im looking for a new player. ive been looking at the ce 755 as ive read on this forum some people like this player. i dont want to spend anymore then 250-300 on the new player. will the sony sound better then my old pioneer unit? also i do have alot of cd-r's just to add that in also. maybe a unit with digital out as im thinking about buying a cd recorder also. any suggestions would be great. thanks rob

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Robert, I haven't listened to the 'M426, so I don't know how it would compare to the 'CE775. I say for $180-200, pick up a 'CE775 at Best Buy or Circuit City and give it a whirl. You can always return it if you don't like it. Of course, the 'CE775 gives you SACD, which is worth the low price of admission for this player.

The 'CE775 has an optical digital output for connection to a CD recorder. However, many CD recorders have two trays for convenient internal dubbing (including high-speed dubbing), so you may not need to connect a CD player to a recorder. Do you have a particular single-tray recorder in mind?

Other CD changers to consider in your price range are the Denon DCM-370, Sony CDP-CA70ES, and Marantz CC4000. They each have a unique sonic signature, with the Denon and Marantz changers being on the warm side. The Sony changer is more detailed to my ears. None of the players offer SACD playback, but they all have a digital output (coaxial in the case of the Denon and Marantz players and optical for the Sony). Between the three changers and the 'CE775, I'm sure you will find a player that beats your 'M426. Again, I haven't listened to it, but I know it to be an older, bare-bones player. Frankly, it shouldn't be hard to find a better player within your budget. Just a hunch I have.

3. RobertGeo

RobertGeo Agent

thanks for the info keith. im gonna check out the units and see what i come out with. for the recorder i was looking at the pioneer 739 i think. i read another post and didnt see this unit mentioned. i also dont like the sound of how some of these units wont over-look the copy protection on cd's. i have a pretty fast burner for my computer. i have a ton of tapes and records so thats where the cd recorder comes into play. if im gonna lay out cash for a recorder its gonna have to over look the copy protection issue. thanks again for the info keith, rob[​IMG]

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rob, the Pioneer PDR-W739 is no longer in production. It was replaced by the 'W839. Perhaps you meant the 'W839? Both models have a three-disc stacked changer along with the recording tray, so you won't need to connect an external player for recording.
    I haven't kept up with the developments regarding copy protection (I don't want to know), but I am not sure that any CD recorder is going to get around it. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that copy protection will be an absolute failure. [​IMG]

5. RobertGeo

RobertGeo Agent

yea keith, that might be the number on the recorder. ive been using my pioneer laser disc 606 as a cd player. it sounds better then my sony s360 dvd player. i was thinking about just keeping the laser disk as my cd player but im tired of getting up and changing discs. i thought i would take a jump into the sony 775 untill you wrote that it wasnt up to snuff on the cd part. im gonna take a look at both the 775 and the ca70es. thanks again keith, rob

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Robert, the 'CE775 is much better as an SACD player than as a CD player. Even though it is only $200, I feel CD playback lets the 'CE775 down. However, you may very well find that the 'CE775 would beat your 'D606 laserdisc player. I once owned the 'D406, which is similar to your 'D606, and it was nothing special as a CD player. I would expect the 'CE775 to beat either laserdisc player. That said, you will probably find that the 'CA70ES beats the 'CE775 with CDs. Unfortunately, the 'CA70ES doesn't play SACDs. Anyway, listen to CDs on both Sony changers if you can and decide which one is better to your ears.

7. RobertGeo

RobertGeo Agent

keith, i bought the ce775 today. ive had it playing for over 3 hours now and am very happy with the player and the sound. you are right that it does sound better then the laser disc. it also sounds better then the old pioneer. i thought about the other players you mentioned but with all the talk on sacd and for this price why not try it? thank you keith for your help!!! rob[​IMG]

8. Howard Halligan

I found that the 775 has a rather long burn-in period - it keeps getting better up to about 200 hours! Th

9. Howard Halligan

I found that the 775 has a rather long burn-in period - it keeps getting better up to about 200 hours! The CD playback other than through the optical output is substandard. However I had my 775 modified by SACDmods.com and what a change, in both SACD and CD playback.

10. RobertGeo

RobertGeo Agent

what does the mod do? im very happy with the unit. rob

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Robert, take a look at www.sacdmods.com , as I believe the mods are described. Usually various internal parts such as the capacitors are upgraded.

12. Howard Halligan

The mod does a number of things see the www.SACDmods.com for a full list. Here's m list:
    1. Much clearer, tighter bass - removes all muddyness and "boomyness".
    2. Removes any residual artifacts of artificial "digital" sound - relism, dynamics, soundstage width and depth improved.
    3. Greatly improves the quality of CD playback
    4. I beleive the moded unit will beat a 555ES in sound quality but not in "heft", of course - may approach the sound quality of the 777ES. I have heard both in a dealer's showroom but am still trying to arrange a side by side comparison.
    Note: I have Klipschorns and Klipsch LaScalas which are very revealing especially in the bass area and they tend to exacerbate any harshness or "fuzyness" in mids and highs.