What's new

Need some info on sound/price/performance speakers/reciever (1 Viewer)

Jed Peters

Auditioning
I'm setting up a new system with in-ceiling speakers, a new reciever, sub, and centerchannel.

What are some good price (first consideration) to performance (second) models to look at?

Can choose from:

JVC, Denon, Sony, Pioneer in recievers

Kiplish or Pinnacle for in-ceiling

Energy, Kiplish, or pinnacle for center/sub

Thanks for your help!

Tim K

Second Unit
without a overall budget or a price range for each piece you aren't going to get much help...

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't use in-ceilings for mains.

There are lots of great brands out there for receivers, marantz, denon, integra/onkyo, Sony ES, Pioneer Elite, HK, outlaw, rotel, yamaha, etc etc.

And even more brands of speakers. You really need to listen to speakers though, while there are some good inwalls/inceilings, it's probably best to go with regular speakers.

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
I agreee with Chris about not using in-ceiling speakers. Once installed you have no flexibility as to there placement. Sometimes moving a speaker even a few inches to the left/right/back or forward can make a noticable difference in their sound.

Jed Peters

Auditioning
Interesting...

What would make me go with the in-ceilings is wifey....she's a tough nut to crack regarding larger up front speakers, but also that there is not much room for the front larger speakers due to the fact that the TV is set INTO the wall...so the speakers would radically protrude into the room, being a pain in the arse.

Budget is probably no more than 2 grand for the 5 speakers, sub, and reciever. Would like to stay under that, though.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I would strongly suggest in-walls as opposed to in-ceiling in the front. they won't be quite as good as their normal counterparts, but they can sure be very good, especially in movies. If you do a lot of serious music listening, though, you should really try to get some speakers in the room. Stand-mounted is probably youe best bet, they seem less obtrusive then their floor standing brothers, and IMO, are a better value.

Tim K

Second Unit
Personally, I've always been partial to Pioneer receivers. I've always found them to give you the most features for your money. Take a look at the Pioneer VSX-D812 6.1 ch receiver for about $299 or the 712 (5.1) for about $250. SVS subs are a sponsor here and well respected...but will run you around $600 maybe. That would only leave you $1100 for speakers. I have no recommendations there as I am not familiar with any in-wall speakers, but I think decent in-walls/in ceilings are going to cost you more than $1100 for 5 speakers. What about eliminating the sub [just for now] and adding it later as the budget/wife allows? With the money you'd save on that you could get some pretty nice in-walls.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well to start out, take a look at a Harman/Kardon reciever, whatever fits your price range. I think a good reciever that is a compromise between price and performance is the new AVR-230 from Harman/Kardon.

As for speakers I have to say for in-wall that your going to want to stick with Klipsch. The good thing is you can move the tweeter around in them so you give them a decent amount of where you want them to come from.

As for a subwoofer, if you can get away with an SVS sub you are gonna be 10x better off that with what you said you were looking at above. If not, then stick with the same thing you use for your main speakers... in your case if you buy Klipsch, stick with a Klipsch subwoofer....

The Klipsch speakers are gonna give you a pretty good deal and they are gonna sound pretty good even though they are going to be in-wall.

Enjoy...

BTW, I have a Klipsch setup with a HK reciever so I guess i'm a fanboy. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks