What's new

Need some info on building an in-wall. (1 Viewer)

JoshGivens

Stunt Coordinator
I finally got some speakers for myself to upgrade from what I had been using. For my rear's, I now have the Polk R15's. I didn't want to get inwalls because of what I had heard about lack of sound, but now that I have the R15's, I really don't want them hanging on the wall in my living room.

I have Cathedral style ceilings in my living room and I'm planning on putting "in-walls" in the slope of the ceiling which will wind up pointing the speakers to the back of the seating area at a good angle.

Here's what I'm planning. Build a bracket to hold the R15's in the ceiling (I can easily access the area from the attic) and then put a screen in the wall (with the R15 behind it).

Where can I get a screen to put in the wall without a speaker? I've been searching the web for speaker grilles/screens with no luck, and I was hoping that someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

JoshGivens

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a metal, rectangular speaker grille. I know that there is something out that similar to what I'm looking for.

Rich Kraus

Stunt Coordinator
i think there are plenty of grill options that will work, but im guessing that your not getting many replys since i think the immage, stage, and tone of the speakers will be all but ruined with the fire-through-a-hole method im picturing. also, wouldnt that open the room to heat/ac containment problems?

while in wall speakers often lag behind a conventional box speaker performance wise, to do what you want they may be the better choice.

edit: the only way i see the polks working as you described, would be to make the opening into the room really big (say 3X3 feet) build a box behind them to keep the HVAC issues in check, then stretch grill cloth over the whole thing flush with the celing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks