Need some info on building an in-wall.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JoshGivens, Nov 29, 2004.

1. JoshGivens

JoshGivens Stunt Coordinator

I finally got some speakers for myself to upgrade from what I had been using. For my rear's, I now have the Polk R15's. I didn't want to get inwalls because of what I had heard about lack of sound, but now that I have the R15's, I really don't want them hanging on the wall in my living room.

I have Cathedral style ceilings in my living room and I'm planning on putting "in-walls" in the slope of the ceiling which will wind up pointing the speakers to the back of the seating area at a good angle.

Here's what I'm planning. Build a bracket to hold the R15's in the ceiling (I can easily access the area from the attic) and then put a screen in the wall (with the R15 behind it).

Where can I get a screen to put in the wall without a speaker? I've been searching the web for speaker grilles/screens with no luck, and I was hoping that someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

2. JoshGivens

JoshGivens Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for a metal, rectangular speaker grille. I know that there is something out that similar to what I'm looking for.

3. Rich Kraus

Rich Kraus Stunt Coordinator

i think there are plenty of grill options that will work, but im guessing that your not getting many replys since i think the immage, stage, and tone of the speakers will be all but ruined with the fire-through-a-hole method im picturing. also, wouldnt that open the room to heat/ac containment problems?

while in wall speakers often lag behind a conventional box speaker performance wise, to do what you want they may be the better choice.

edit: the only way i see the polks working as you described, would be to make the opening into the room really big (say 3X3 feet) build a box behind them to keep the HVAC issues in check, then stretch grill cloth over the whole thing flush with the celing.