Need some inexpensive clamps, where to buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Feb 6, 2002.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Looking around for tools I realize that even clamps are expensive. I don't have any clamps at all but will be needing some for projects I will start eventually. What does everyone recommend for basic clamping? Inexpensive and effective is what I'm looking for.

2. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,
    As a newbie in the middle of my first DIY sub project, I can give you my experience so far.
    I bought 2 Merle band clamps from http://mlcswoodworking.com which will be useful when I'm gluing up my box, and I also got 2 of the "can-do" clamps from there, as they looked handy for clamping corners. . .
    I have a couple of spring clamps, and you'll probably need a couple of those as well.
    For bar type clamps, I think the regular Bessie brand are very good. The 28" or so is like $12 or so. The high-end Bessie's are much more expensive, but worth it, but there is the basic line, so you don't have to spend $40 to get a Bessie clamp.
    My new favorite misc. clamp is the Bessie "mighty-mini", which is a little version of their regular clamp, and it's only $5. I have 2, and am using them everytime I turn around.
    Anyway, that's my inexperienced advice. I'm sure lots more of the more experienced woodworkers can chime in. I've probably spend less than $100 on clamps, and I think I've got a fair amount of stuff to show for it.
    Good luck-
    Wes Nance
    Rochester, NY

3. Brett_A

Brett_A Stunt Coordinator

JC Whitney the car parts supplier has bar clamps, even the really big ones for vey cheap.

4. Chad Anson

Chad Anson Second Unit

Harbor Freight periodically has their bar clamps on sale for around $3. Just add some black pipe (hint: buy more manageable sizes and screw them together if you need more length). You can order online, but they also have retail stores all over.

5. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,

I do not know if you a store call Big Lots in CA. It is a dollar store. I picked up some 36" bar clamps for (2) for $5 and 24" clamps for $3 ea. Look similar to the deep bar clamps from Penn State, but sure lesser quaility.

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Maybe a silly question but what do you need 36" clamps for when building speakers?

7. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Maybe a silly question but what do you need 36" clamps for when building speakers?

Sorry, double post. Wonder how that happened.

8. Larry_K

Larry_K Auditioning

Jeff,

You would need the 36" and longer clamps on some floorstanders. Also, some of us will build a speaker kit or two and next thing you know we have another full blown hobby (woodworking..). In many cases the clamps jump up only a few dollars as the size increases. I can get the Bessy Tradesman (bar clamp) locally for about $11.95 for an 18", $12.95 for a 24", $14.95 for a 36" and so on.

When shopping for clamps, do check out the budget models at places like Harbor Freight and such. All the clamps I've been buying the last few months are Bessies though, but I plan to check out the local Harbor Freight when I get to that side of town (there's one about 30 miles from my house).

Larry

9. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,

Don't forget about sub enclosures, somethimes they can get real big.

10. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

Larry K

Where would you pick up bessy clamps? Some kind of wood working supply place because home depot doesn't have it?

11. Wes Nance

My Home Depot does carry Bessie, just not in the tool corral. I think they're over by the hardwoods or something. You should check with your local store.

Else any specialty wood store should carry them.

Wes

12. Larry_K

Larry_K Auditioning

Jon,
    If I recall, the Home Depots around here (Memphis) do have the Bessey clamps. I think they're the same prices that I can get at the dedicated woodshops so I buy from the 'smaller' guys instead.
    For a cheaper solution, I hear the bar clamps from Harbor Freight are decent. www.harborfreight.com
    I just checked their site, and for bar clamps they are:
    12" - $4.99
    24" - $6.99
    30" - $7.99
    36" - $9.99
    They look to be comparable to the Jorgenson bar clamps (probably a little more than twice the cost).
    I may go ahead and try some of the cheap ones from HF when I get over to their store, but even though they cost more than double the cheap ones I love the Bessey tradesman, and their price point is still pretty low.
    Larry

13. Wes Nance

Just for information, I was at a Black and Decker outlet today, and they have quick release bar clamps from 12" to 24", $9.99 any size. Seemed pretty cheap to me. I bought 2 24".

They have a lifetime warranty. . .

Wes