Need some IE help with XP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Parker Clack, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I know that this is a pretty basic question but I cannot seem to get IE to save addresses in my address bar when I reboot my computer. The next time I restart the computer and then open IE all the places that I have been before are gone.

I have gone to the Tools > Internet Options and I am not deleting any of the files, etc. I know this should be a pretty simple thing to do but for the life of me I cannot figure out what I need to have turned on or off to keep my visited urls showing up in my pull down menu of my address bar.

Ideas?

Parker

2. FrankT

FrankT Stunt Coordinator

It could be because you have something like TweakUI running. In TweakUI (the older version there is a checkbox for "Clear Internet Explorer History at logon") I mention "the older version" because I have both versions on my XP PC and only the older version has this feature (that I can see anyway).

Go to control panel and if you have TweakUI it should be listed there. When you are in TweakUi go to the "Paranoia" tab.

Hope this helps

3. Parker Clack

Parker
    Frank:

Thanks for the tip. I do have Tweak UI running in the background but I have the newest version for XP and it does not have any thing regarding "Clear Internet Explorer History at Logon" in it as you said. Since it is not in there does it just default to clearing your URL address bar auotmatically then?

Is there some setting in the registry that you can change so that your Internet Explorer history is saved?

Parker

4. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Is it happening only on reboot, or does it happen if you close and then re-open IE as well?

5. FrankT

FrankT Stunt Coordinator

I just thought of something simple. (Which I am sure you thought of but just in case)

Under "Internet Options" > "General Tab" what is the number you have for "Days to Keep Pages in History"? If it is 0 I think it will clear the address bar when you reboot.

(To answer your other question: I am not sure what reg. key you would change.)

6. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

7. Parker Clack

Parker
    Bruce:

This is happening only on reboot.

Dave:

How do you uninstall Tweak UI?

Parker

8. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

You should be able to remove TweakUI from the Add/Remove Programs area in the Control Panel.

Bruce

9. Parker Clack

Parker
    Duh! After I asked that question on how to remove it I thought that myself boy that was a dumb question. At any rate I removed Tweak UI but it didn't resolve the situation of my address pull down menu getting cleared after a reboot the computer.

Parker

10. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Parker,
    You could try TweakIE
    That would make sure the history is totaly clear and the problems aren't coming from something left behind in there.
    This is just a theory, but there could be something screwy with your history (like something in there is telling the computer to clear it when it boots). When you use IE to clean-up the history it doesn't remove the index.dat file and TweakIE is supposed to do that. Alternately the index.dat file can be removed renamed from a dos environment. It can't be done from within Windows. TweakIE can do it from within Windows and you can get a demo version to do it with.
    Anyway just an idea.