What's new

Need some help (1 Viewer)

Khasimir

Grip
Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my 10 year old HT system and I need some help. I'm looking to spend about $1500-4000 for a receiver/dvd player/eq. I was thinking about getting an amp, but since I'm not a "loud" guy I don't think it's going to be worthwhile. That recently reviewed Boston Accoustic receiver seems to really catch my attention. What are some suggested models?

Also, I'm looking at also getting one of those digital media centers. I love the idea of being able to store and access every single CD, DVD, digital photo's etc via my remote. What kind of experiences have people had with these things? What is a recommended manufactorer?

Thanks in advance!

Khasimir

Grip
Thanks Victor. I was looking at the 335 thru 7300 models and really the one question that I have is this: Does HK make any amps? I couldn't find any on their website.
The 435 seems to be a real solid receiver, but it's a little weak on the juice for me. If HK doesn't, what would be a recommended manufactorer?

Thanks.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
I own a HK 435, and you can max it out...I would be impressed.

Very few people realized how little power they are normally using...If you got a 435 it would be more than enough power, I can guarantee it.

Khasimir

Grip
Good point Ryan. I keep forgetting that I'm no longer the swinging bachelor that I used to be, who rarely turns up his stereo now.
After looking again, I'm leaning towards the DPR 2005 as I'm going to be getting a DMS. I think it's probably best that I keep the signal completely digital. My only concern is the .15 THD. How much will that affect my sound quality compared to the .07 of the 435?
Now if I can only figure out what to do for my speakers, life would be grand!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey Khasimir,

I highly recomend looking at the Denon AVR-3805 reciever along with a Denon DVD player. As long as you have good speakers I dont think you really need an eq. The Denon 3805 has assignable component video, assignable digital inputs, assignable internal amplifiers. So if you decide to use power amps in the future you can take the unused internal channels and reassign them to zone 2 or zone 3. The Deon also has room correction which help eliminate the need for an equilizer. I was at CES in Vegas, NV and saw the demo for the Denon AVR-3805 which was hooked up to M&K speakers, Denon DVD Player and the video was feed to a high dollar dlp projector (at least 20k) on a 100" screen.

The Denon AVR 4806 may most likely be out of your price range but it has lots of flexability and besides having all the toys from the 3805. It has dvi and hdmi inputs and outputs. But I would seriously look at the Denon over the HK. HK's have good processing but there strong point is more that the amplifiers are high current. IMHO the Denon's processing is superior and its flexability is better as well. You should be able to find the Denon AVR-3805 for $999 and its power is 120 x 7

DENON AVR-3805 Information
7.1 A/V Receiver with Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx & DTS ES Discrete 6.1 • Dolby Digital Surround EX, Pro Logic IIx decoding with Cinema,Music and Game Modes • dts ES Discrete 6.1 and Matrix 6.1 decoding • dts Neo:6 Stereo to Surround decoding • dts ES 96/24 5.1 decoding for DVD Video • HDCD decoding • New DDSC-Digital featuring Analog Devices HammerHead SHARC 32 bit floating point DSP processor • New 7.1 channel Auto-Setup and Room EQ function with optional DENON microphone DM-S305 or other manufacturers microphone • 7 Channels equal power amplifier section • 120 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks