need some help...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Danny_JP, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Danny_JP

Danny_JP Extra

I own a panasonic home theater package. The SC-HT670. Its a 5 disk DVD player and reciever in one. Also came with speakers. I would be completely satisfied with it, aside from the fact that when it was shipped to my house, I discovered that it lacked any sort of digital input/output whatsoever (I should have checked but I just assumed it was there...). While I could still play my DVDs in full DolbyDigital 5.1, Plugging in my Xbox/PS2 was only possible with analog connections.

I really didnt want to return in just for that reason because I really liked everything else about the system so I decided it might be a good idea to buy a not-too-expensive reciever that I could connect the game systems into (with optical cables) and then just wire both recievers into the speakers. Quite satisfied with the idea (although it might seem like going thru too much trouble to you all) I found a reciever with everything I needed. $100. Sounded like a deal. before I went out and bought it, I decided to try hooking 2 speaker cables to one speaker beforehand, just so I knew it worked and I wasnt wasting my money. I have a simple stereo CD/radio player and I just wired that to my 2 front speakers to see how it would work.

What ended up happening was when I played something, the sound came out of the 2 front speakers, and then it traveled back thru the other speaker wire, into my panasonic reciever, and produced crackling feedback that could be heard out of all 4 of my sattelite speakers. What a bummer... Then I tried running the music cd in my panasonic with the CD player still hooked up to my 2 front speakers. It played just fine, but the signal traveled back thru the wires and fried my CD player. It now refuses to produce any sound at all [​IMG] .

I guess this must mean that you cant connect two recievers to one set of speakers... Either ill fry something else or ill get nasty feedback all the time. Is there anyone that knows about this kind of stuff that could give me a suggestion? All I really want is full surround sound while im blasting aliens and stuff on my xbox [​IMG] . Any help would be appreciated.

2. Danny_JP

Danny_JP Extra

I own a panasonic home theater package. The SC-HT670. Its a 5 disk DVD player and reciever in one. Also came with speakers. I would be completely satisfied with it, aside from the fact that when it was shipped to my house, I discovered that it lacked any sort of digital input/output whatsoever (I should have checked but I just assumed it was there...). While I could still play my DVDs in full DolbyDigital 5.1, Plugging in my Xbox/PS2 was only possible with analog connections.

I really didnt want to return in just for that reason because I really liked everything else about the system so I decided it might be a good idea to buy a not-too-expensive reciever that I could connect the game systems into (with optical cables) and then just wire both recievers into the speakers. Quite satisfied with the idea (although it might seem like going thru too much trouble to you all) I found a reciever with everything I needed. $100. Sounded like a deal. before I went out and bought it, I decided to try hooking 2 speaker cables to one speaker beforehand, just so I knew it worked and I wasnt wasting my money. I have a simple stereo CD/radio player and I just wired that to my 2 front speakers to see how it would work.

What ended up happening was when I played something, the sound came out of the 2 front speakers, and then it traveled back thru the other speaker wire, into my panasonic reciever, and produced crackling feedback that could be heard out of all 4 of my sattelite speakers. What a bummer... Then I tried running the music cd in my panasonic with the CD player still hooked up to my 2 front speakers. It played just fine, but the signal traveled back thru the wires and fried my CD player. It now refuses to produce any sound at all [​IMG] .

I guess this must mean that you cant connect two recievers to one set of speakers... Either ill fry something else or ill get nasty feedback all the time. Is there anyone that knows about this kind of stuff that could give me a suggestion? All I really want is full surround sound while im blasting aliens and stuff on my xbox [​IMG] . Any help would be appreciated.

3. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

no you cant hook 2 receivers up to 1 speaker. whichever receiver has more power will end up feeding sound into the other receiver, which can detroy it. you could also blow a speaker this way i would imagine. I would get a new receiver that has all the inputs you need for your xbox. you should be able to get a speaker switch that would let you switch back and forth between receivers. im sure somone could add some info on what products will solve your problem.

Johnny

4. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

no you cant hook 2 receivers up to 1 speaker. whichever receiver has more power will end up feeding sound into the other receiver, which can detroy it. you could also blow a speaker this way i would imagine. I would get a new receiver that has all the inputs you need for your xbox. you should be able to get a speaker switch that would let you switch back and forth between receivers. im sure somone could add some info on what products will solve your problem.

Johnny

5. Danny_JP

Danny_JP Extra

Ive been looking everywhere for something like that. It seems the extremely popular thing is "multiple sets of speakers to one reciever". I have yet to find a "multiple recievers to one set of speakers" product. It seems like such a thing doesnt exist [​IMG] .

6. Danny_JP

Danny_JP Extra

Ive been looking everywhere for something like that. It seems the extremely popular thing is "multiple sets of speakers to one reciever". I have yet to find a "multiple recievers to one set of speakers" product. It seems like such a thing doesnt exist [​IMG] .