What's new

Need some help. (1 Viewer)

HowardPM

Agent
Real Name
Howard
I finally decided to use my rec. like your suppose to. So I connected the Component Cables From the HDTV cable box to the TV IN on the receiver, then component Cables from the Reciever (Monitor Out) to the TV. Now when I turn on the TV, the screen is all screwed up. kinda like I'm seeing 3 parts of the show in random spots and they moving all around.

If I plug the Components directly from the Cable box to the TV it looks fine. Any suggestions?

By the way I'll have many more questions once I get this working.

Thanks

Howard

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Hi there! The 3 component cables from the CATV box must go into a component 'in' on your receiver. I think you plugged them into the L/R audio and yellow composite sockets.

Glenn

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
and to clear things up, too:

You're not *supposed* to go through the receiver at all. Purists would recommend NOT going through the receiver, as it's another set of wires and switching in the path. The only point of going through the receiver is to accomplish video switching and/or simplicity. If it is just as easy for you to go directly to your display (and you don't have more things to connect than inputs on your display), then it's best to go directly to the display, and not through the receiver or any other video switching device(video processors not included, of course).

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Also note that just because a receiver has component switching, component does not mean it will handle the higher-frequency HDTV video signals:

Component Video (480i) max frequency: 4 Mhz
Progressive Video (480p) max frequency: 12 mhz
HD Video (1080i) max frequency: 35 mhz

This is why you should go direct from source to TV with a HD system.

if you run out of inputs, there is a "Inexpensive HD Video Switching" thread in the receivers section that discusses several $100-$150 switch box's (and several cheaper alternatives).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks