What's new

Need some help! (1 Viewer)

I just moved into a very small house. My living room is 12x15. But to have access to the front door I must sit 6' from my TV screen. That is the problem. My TV is a 7 year old Mits 45" RPTV. The image is not great to begin with, compared to what's out there now. The TV is very dependent on the source. Some DVDs look ok, some Directv channels also are just ok. The connection to the TV is with The S-Video input through my receiver. The other night I was in the kitchen preparing dinner when I noticed how much better the picture looked from 20' away. Since this is not a option (watching from the kitchen)I need some suggestions on a direct view set. Being a new home owner I am on a limited budget. I would like to keep the cost between $500 and $600. Thanks for any help.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
With a 6' viewing distance, if you're looking at an analog set (in that price range, you are) I would say 32" is about the max size you want... I would normally say that is too large for a room like that, but if you've currently got a 45" then you must not care about the space it takes in the room.

The 32" Sony Wega is a bit above your price range (around $750), but may be worth a look.

Look also at Toshiba or Panasonic direct views of that size.

Look for a flat tube.
If you do a lot of DVD watching, look for a 16x9 enhanced mode. This feature is very nice. The Sony has it, and I'm sure there are some models by Toshiba or Panasonic that do as well. This mode will squeeze those scanlines down to invisible on anamorphic DVDs.

36" will be out of your price range for a quality flat tube, plus scan-lines will be evident at 6'.

-Scott

Thanks for the input Scott. I went and looked at the Akai 30" widescreen that Sams Club has, today. It looked very good, has the squeeze and is in in my price range. I am not sure of the return policy but I hope it does a good job on Directv standard channels and does not crop off too much at top or bottom. I'll post again after I watch for awhile.

Mike Hamilton

Stunt Coordinator
Too bad your budget is not twice as mentioned:frowning:
You could secure one of the Princeton closeouts on their 30" set and have hands down the best direct view probably ever offered for sale to the consumer. At issue with its poor sales performance in the marketplace was the issue with higher price and smallish screen size, however, in your situation, you are an ideal candidate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks