What's new

Need some help with shipping from previous SVS sellers (1 Viewer)

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
In the next couple of days I will be selling my SVS 20-39CS and a Samson S1000 but before I put it up for sale I wanted to check with some previous sellers on how you shipped your sub if you didn't have the original boxes.

How much do you think Mail Boxes Etc. or UPS would charge to package the sub and amp? I would prefer a local sale but living in small Delaware I doubt I would get any interests so I'm willing to ship if these companies don't rip me off with packaging.

So, is it worth having UPS package up the sub and amp to ship?

JohnWM

Auditioning
I would check with The UPS store first and describe the item to them and let them give you an estimate.

There is a local guy that sold monitors on ebay. He clearly says in his ads that he has them locally packaged. He gets flamed all the time because they charge about $25-50 just to package the item. You just need to know that up front so you do not get stuck with an expensive shipping rate.

And yes you can tell the deal you are getting from SVS when their shipping rates are so low. They have already built in the packaging costs with the item and they are custom made in bulk for their items. The UPS store is doing a one time custom made package for you! And a big one at that.

I also do not think that UPS other than through their retail outlets will package anything for you.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Thanks John,

I was reading over at UPS's website and it states that they will package any item for you small or large but at a PRICE. A price that I can imagine will be outrageous. I need to call it says.

I was searching previous SVS sales and I saw someone say that they contacted SVS for packaging material and SVS shipped them to him for I believe $50 for each sub. Then I can imagine it will cost about $30 to ship. $80 to ship a $250 sub seems excessive. I will probably pay half the shipping cost if the buyer pays the other half.

I sent an email over to Ron at SVS to see what he can do about packaging supplies. I will wait and find out.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor

Tony, I don't understand??????

----------------------

Well Ron emailed me back and stated, "Well we can ship you a subwoofer box but they are pretty costly. Shipping typically is the same as a sub! (UPS doesn’t care if it’s air inside) But if you want a quote for that we’ll get it to you"

So I sent an email back for the quote.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Why not just put it up on ebay with the stipulation the sub would need to be picked up? I'd drive 4-6 hours round trip to save a couple of hundred (although with gas prices it may cost that) bucks. You may get lucky and find a close buyer. If you don't, you will just be out the listing price. I'd start with that first.

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
Just put "buyer pays actually shipping charges" which are dependent on the amount of distance it would have to travel which encourages a local pick up but doesn't rule it out for those budgeting for purchase + shipping which most buyers should have to pay for anyway.

ChrisBee

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a great believer in recycled packaging. Supermarkets and white goods stores are swamped with cardboard packaging in all sizes and thicknesses. I've never had a problem obtaining large pieces or even huge boxes to send things off to family abroad.

Even reproducing the original SVS packaging would not be that difficult. Foam cuts easily with an electric carving knife into the shaped SVS corner blocks. Nested double boxes can be made up from rescued cardboard and lots of strong wide tape. No, it would not be as neat as the genuine article. But given patience you could certainly achieve the same level of protection. The secret is using loads of tape.

Collection by the buyer is still the best option though. Despite your claimed distance from the centre of things. It is very likely a fellow HT enthusiast lives within easy driving distance. Provided they know the gear is up for sale. No doubt this thread will produce inquiries.:D

ChrisBee

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks