What's new

Need some help with Project Gotham Racing (1 Viewer)

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Hey all, I've read some posts where people are finding PGR to be easy. Well, it's the exact opposite for me. I'm having a hell of a time making sharp turns...I just go ramming into the walls. I'm slowly progressing through the game, but this driving of mine will surely not let me advance once I get to the higher skilled races.
So, can anyone offer me any tricks in how to make the corners?
Thanks.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I played a LOT of Gran Tourismo 3 so I practiced turns quite a bit.
All I can tell you is this - don't take them too fast!!!!!
That was my biggest problem in GT3. Once I realized that you HAVE to slow down for the turns, life got easier, and I got the top spot many time.
The gut reaction with driving games is to go faster than a bat out of hell, but the fact is, the physics of Planet Earth won't allow you to take a 90 degree turn at 150 MPH.
Mike
------------------
Windows XP Resource
Listen to my radio station - Starman's Neverland
Link Removed

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I have the exact same problem with those kinds of driving games. I'm an old-school Daytona USA style driver. In the arcade style games you could fly through the corners as fast as you wanted, sliding like crazy.
It's a little different in the 'sim' driving type games. You should have seen me try to drive my Viper in Viper Racing on the PC (Which is COMPLETELY UNDERAPPRECIATED in the driving game world). It was really sad. I had my Viper so pumped up that it was completely undrivable for me. I just couldn't drive the damn thing.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys. I'm used to arcade style games, so I'm used to being able to fly through corners at insane speeds! :)
I realized that I had to start slowing down for the turns in PGR, but I think I may have my timing wrong. I think I'm braking too late.
Well, I guess I'll learn eventually.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I haven't played PGR, but I played an ass-load of it's, prequel, Metropolis Street Racer. Just remember, the Emergency Brake is your friend. Power sliding is the key to ths game. Screw the nice normal turns. Plus Powersliding will get you lots of Kudos.
-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment
"I've seen you and you are not cool."

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Speaking from GT2 experience, if you can choose AWD cars, it helps alot until you get used to braking and turning... RWD cars, especially those with high HP, vipers, etc, are hard to start off with...and watch out for that lift-throttle oversteer! My number one reason for spinning into walls in GT2, especially with light cars, like the Lotus Elise...
Jay

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
People, PGR is NOTHING like Gran Tourismo, it's MUCH more realistic in that you only slide if you want to. For whoever asked how to take turns, EMERGENCY break. The game is all about Kudos, not of this garbage unrealistic sliding like crazy GT3 hud.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Hahahahaha, PGR, realistic? PGR is nothing but an arcade racer. GT3 is a very realistic driving game. If you are spinning out a lot in GT, than you need to make some adjustment in your car settings. You just can't add a bunch of power to a car without making adjustments to other parts of the car to compensate. I never spin out in GT3.
-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
If PGR handles anything like MSR, then you have to use the E-Brake to make those sharp turns. The regular brakes just don't slow your car down quick enough to be of any real use. You can brake way before you really should need to and will still go bashing into the wall.
I was used to GT2 when I started playing MSR and it took quite a bit to get used to. They are very different beasts.
------------------

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Can you tweek your car? If you can, you can look into adjusting camber and brake balance to sometime more controllable. I have only seen screen shots of PGR but never seen it or looked into it. Matty B, why on earth would somebody design a car where in order to make the fastest turns you need to use the emergency brake? I don't think the people at F1 or Lemans use the emergency brake to go faster around the corners. The only people who really use the e-brake are rally cars and from the screen shots of PGR that I've seen, it doesn't look like a rally game at all and the cars that I've seen on it aren't rally cars either.
Perhaps I should actually find out what kind of game it really is, a sim type game or an arcade kind of game. The screen shots surely look cool.
Jay
[Edited last by Jay H on November 17, 2001 at 05:20 PM]

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
You can't "tweak" your car (at least not in the first versioN) and you need to use your power brake to make sharp.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Jay,
Metroplois Street Racer was a total arcade racer. However, it was the best arcade racer, IMHO. PGR is the sequel to MSR, so it is also an arcade racer.
If anybody actually thinks MSR or PGR is realistic, I would have to ask if you have ever driven a car in real life. :)
-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment
[Edited last by Dean DeMass on November 17, 2001 at 09:31 PM]

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks! as you can see I'm not a big follower of games except for those that I have played such as GT/GT2. Never heard of MSR except for as "Mountain Safety Research" which makes outdoor backpacking equipment such as stoves, tents and stuff (owned by REI). :)
Jay

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
If you think that GT3 is realistic, then I wonder what kind of piece of shit you're driving in real life. I drive a car that is fairly powerful (230hp Turbo) and I have NEVER spun out while making a turn at high speed, which happens FREQUENTLY in EVERY single car in GT3. Im sure people that are tooling around in 10 year old Camrys imagine that a fast car handles something like in GT3 but assuredly the handling is MUCH more similar to PGR. I have done a 180 ONCE in real life (Different car) it happens FREQUENTLY in GT3.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
That's my biggest complaint with the Gran Tourismo series. It tries to be real, but it's so far off in certain aspects that I find it totally unplayable.
Have I ever spun out doing 30mph around a corner? Hell no! But according to the realism of Gran Tourismo every single car in existence spins out.
Oh well, whatever.
Andrew
------------------
ICQ# - 119869807

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Matty,
So what you are trying to say is that when you are driving your car, you have to frequently use the E-brake to make a proper turn? Like I said, I never spin out in GT because of turning. The only time I do is when I am having a collision with another car or if I get pushed off into the dirt and I have a set of racing tires on. BTW, my piece of shit cars consist of a 2001 Ford Escape (200 HP) and a 2000 VW Turbo Beetle. The last time I checked, I didn't have to use my E-brake to make a sharp turn in either vehicle. :)
MSR and PGR are arcade racers, the GT series are simulation racing games. Remember, they are games, nothing beats the real thing. :)
-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
BTW Matty, if you didn't notice, I used a few smiley's in my posts. That means I am joking around or just having fun. You need to lighten up a bit, these are just video games. :)
-Dean-
------------------
My HT Equipment

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
One thing about GT2/3 is that you can't apply partial throttle. It's all or nothing. I really doubt any of you drive around with the gas pedal to the floor, while cranking the wheel from side to side. The only spin-outs I've experienced in GT2/3 (in a properly setup car) is under hard acceleration while taking a turn.

If, in your car, you reved the engine to 5k RPM, dumped the clutch, then attemped a turn without letting up, you would find yourself ass-up in a ditch. Also, street cars (real life) are setup to have a good amount of understeer. This keeps Joe Hotrod from killing himself when he takes a turn too fast. Race cars are setup to have minimal understeer, even oversteer. This allows more cornering force at the limit, but makes it easier to spinout.

The bottom line being, in GT you are driving at 100% of the cars limits. In real life, I doubt anybody here has gone above 70%, I know I haven't. If you were to spend some time at a race track, you'd realize how easy it is to screw up.

btw, with 282 HP in my X5, I've come real close to spinning out on an offramp. I was actually demonstrating the throttle-lift oversteer to a friend. Just take a corner way too fast, then lift up on the gas. You'll feel the back-end come around. Don't try this at home.

Jared

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
There is a HUGE difference between 200+hp in an SUV and 200 horses in a Sedan that weighs 2800 pounds, but REGARDLESS I still disagree that GT3 is any more realistic than PGR. The fact that you can tune up your car in GT3 only makes it LESS realistic because of the performance gains you get from minimal additions (Exhaust, etc.). NONE of these cars come close to the real experience and Im sure that much of that has to do with steering with a D-pad. I have spun out ONCE in real life and that was on a day when it was over 90 degrees outside and I was doing over 90 around a fairly sharp curve. I have NEVER lost control when rounding a corner since then, yet in GT3 is CONSISTENTLY happens at speeds under 50 miles an hour, ALSO, the cars just refuse to steer. You turn the wheel all the way to the left, and you still drift into the dirt...and they arent just video games, THEY ARE MY LIFE. (Sad but true)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I played MSR on Dreamcast, and I played PGR on Xbox this weekend...

Lemme tell ya, the two control totally differently... I was thinking that it was gonna be a breeze with PGR coz i was so good at MSR, and MSR was a REALLY easy racer to drive...

PGR sticks with the real physics and dynamics of a car much better than MSR did. MSR was a very arcade racer, with great graphics and some sim qualities, but in reality, the handling was tottally arcadeish...

In PGR, you cant depend on the handbrake to powerside thru corners. The handbrake in PGR will just bring you to a screeching halt, and if you swerve, put you into a spin. In PGR you really gotta drive real, and brake early, turn into the apex, and accellerate out. No more stopping at the last second, pressing handbrake to pivot your car, pressing brake to stop the spin and gassing yourself out of the turn like you did in MSR. PGR is much more realistic.

I think its muhc more solid in control than GT3. GT3 was too touchy, and you could spin out alot. It just felt less connected, stuck to the road than PGR. It was more like driving on snow rather than pavement. but thats just me...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks