What's new

Need some help with HDMI Purchase (1 Viewer)

Tom Scholfield

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone,
I am going to be purchasing a widescreen HDTV with HDMI input in the next few days. I would like to purchase a dvd player with HDMI or DVI output. I can only find three DVD players with these outputs that are around 200 dollars. Samsung and V cary dvi out models and Toshiba has a player with HDMI out. I heard there is a problem with the Toshiba player. My question is, should I just wait until more players come out or should I get one of these three. does anyone have experience with any of these players? Anyway, please help.

Jonty Rees

Stunt Coordinator
I have the problematic Toshiba SD5960 HDMI player. I'm finding it a bit balky with the controls, not very responsive to either the remote or the front panel buttons, and it only weighs 3.5lbs - giving it a very flimsy feel. I haven't received my long HDMI cable yet, so I can't comment on the performace through that connection, but on component out to a Sony HS3 front projecter, it seems to be doing fine. It did stutter a bit a couple of times, but hasn't actually refused to play anything yet. I'm hearing rumors of a recall to Toshiba, but that is unconfirmed.

If I had a good DVDP with component out, I would wait until more HDMI or DVI players hit the market later this year. I'm stuck, though, with a $35 Mintek that I bought a year ago to tide me over until I upgraded. Now that I have the projecter, I'm going to stick it out with the Toshiba, and hope for a replacement under recall down the road.

I just think it's bizarre that there are all these display options that accept HDMI or DVI, but hardly any sources to go with them.

Tom Scholfield

Stunt Coordinator
I know it is so strange. I am so excited about having an HDMI input, but I only have like three options for dvd players. It is pretty disapointing.

David Judah

Screenwriter
If you can wait, Panasonic is releasing the DVDS-97S(there is a thread about it in this Forum). There is no release date, but I've heard anywhere from June to September.

DJ

Ka Yuen

Agent
If you are buying a HDTV with HDMI input, I am assuming you are looking for a DVD player which can output 1080i thru DVI/HDMI. If I am reading the Panasonic DVD S97 writeups right, it is outputing the 6 channel DVD-A thru the HDMI output, it does not say it can upconvert to 1080i to be outputed thru HDMI.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
It will upconvert to 720/1080 through HDMI. Its unknown if it will upconvert >480 via comp.

6-ch DVD-A will be analog out only. Digital audio will be passed via HDMI (which is just DVI + audio).

David Judah

Screenwriter
Actually, I don't think we can know for sure until it is released, but so far indications are that it will upconvert to 1080i & 720p and transmit DVD-A through the HDMI connection.

I know this press release is from January during CES, so obviously features can change, but here is a quote from a report of Panasonic's booth:
(emphasis mine)

Note that the mention of six-channel DVD-A support is because the DVD-D47 only supports 2 channel DVD-A(for what reason I can't fathom).

I'm guessing here, but I think the delay of the SA-XR70 and the DVDS-97S are because they are having problems integrating the HDMI interface. Again, this is my theory, not something I've heard, because both were already supposed to be released by now.

DJ

Tom Scholfield

Stunt Coordinator
But nobody knows when the panasonic is going to be released right? Right now all I have is a non progressive scan player, should I purchase an inexpensive progressive scan while I wait for the Panasonic or should I go with the Samsung with DVI output?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks