What's new

Need some help with AV-12 (1 Viewer)

Jonathan T

Second Unit
I'm using WinID alpha to model a Stryke AV-12 in a sealed 2 ft3 cube. Using the SPL and cone excursion function, I've found that 250 watts will push the cone beyond it's Xmax at about 31.25 hz and the -3db point is about 43.15hz. Could someone also check this so I can see if I've getting the correct numbers.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you go to File, Options and look at the settings for Cone Excursion you will see it is P-P. Don't worry about it until you get close to 46mm on the graph.

-Robert

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
If you click on the unit(p-p or peak) in the options, you can change to however you want. If I change mine to p-p, then my numbers match yours.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
According to Unibox, it would take about 500 watts to reach Xmax at 20Hz in 58 liters.

That changes a lot. Looks like a Rymthmic Audio plate amp won't cut it.
If "cutting it" means the ability to bottom the driver (?), then that may be the case. I can tell you that the driver does work well in half that Vb with 250 watts.

Jonathan T

Second Unit
According to WinISD, it would take about 600 watts to bottom it out at 20hz, but that's trivial.

And yes, I meant that the Rymthic audio amp won't be able to bottom the sub out. But then again, I'm looking at the SPL numbers at 380 watts, and they are still impressive. Now that I think about it, I might just get the Rymthic amp that has the dampening, crossover and volume control right onboard, much cheeper than a rack amp that can put out 700+ watts into 4 ohmns RMS un-bridged.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
"Bottoming out" an AV12 implies about 30mm excursion. Xmech (mechanical limits), not Xmax (linear excursion). I wouldn't aspire to doing it in any event, 380 watts should be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks