What's new

Need some help setting TV up (1 Viewer)

Cory R. B.

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone,

I have a 27" Samsung HDTV, and I've noticed some weird things I have to fix in settings.

1) Part of the picture curves. The upper left hand corner curves towards the top and the lower left hand corner curves towards the bottom. And it seems to start fairly high up, at least two inches from the top and the bottom, maybe more. The right side doesn't do this at all.

At first it just looked funny to me, but I put in a game I knew had straight lines, and sure enough they bent as they got towards the upper and lower lefthand corners.

Also, the top of the screen is cut off by a few centimeters. So something with the screen ratio is wrong, its too small some areas and too big others, hence the getting cut off and the curving. I checked with multiple game systems to make sure it wasn't the system. Where do I go to fix this and how do I get it right?

2) I'm not really positive, but I think I've been seeing some slight ghosting. What settings should I check for that?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hi there, Cory:

Looks like you have some serious geometry problems with your set. This would be corrected in the service menu. Contact your dealer to see if a factory-authorized tech can come out an correct the problem from the set's service menu. If the dealer is of no help, contact Samsung's general service number and tell the operator about your problem. And if that doesn't work, exchange the set for another unit while there is still time.

As for the "ghosting"--what, exactly, are you seeing? A sharp outlining around the edges of images? Is the scan-velocity modulation defeatable on the Samsung?

What source materials are you using when you see this phenomenon?

Cory R. B.

Stunt Coordinator
For the ghosting, I'm watching TV. It sometimes looks like I can quickly see the old image on top of the new image if the entire screen is suddenly changed (like a new camera angle or something). I'm probably just paranoid about this, so I'm not gonna worry about it.

As for the geometry thing, I've had a horrible time getting any support from Samsung. I can't even find a support phone number on their website. All it is is email links, and none of the pull down menus even have my TV model #.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
That ghosting seems more like the image is simply fading slowly and the phosphors are retaining it before refreshing. I see this from time to time myself.

There are no numbers for Samsung listed in your owner's manual? Look again, and see if there's one listed toward the back. Samsung is obligated to sell you a set that works.

You might put in that call to your dealer, too. At the very least, you'll want to swap out your unit with another before your initial thirty days are up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks