Need Some Help Selecting a Reciever

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Luke_Lemmings, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Luke_Lemmings

Luke_Lemmings Stunt Coordinator

I'm in the market to replace my HK 125.

I'm currently looking at the following models:

HK 525
    HK 630
    Denon 2803
    Pioneer Elite VSX-53TX

The reciever will be pushing Polk Audio RTi10 Fronts, Polk RTi8 Rears, Polk CSi5 Center, and a Velodyne CHT-8 sub.

Usage will be 70% movies, 20% gaming, and 10% music (DVD-A and CDs)

Other components in the system include a Toshiba HX83, Denon DVD-1600.

Thanks for the help guys.

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I would go for the HK models, whichever best suits your need. If you like the sound of the HK and don't wish to change then it's best for you, or if the HK annoys you somewhat then maybe you will want to switch over to another company.

in terms of specs on the reciever I think the HK and the Pioneer will be the two best choices for this.

Good luck with whatever you decide... My personal vote between the HK's goes to the 525.

3. Luke_Lemmings

Any other suggestions guys???

4. Dave Shepard

Dave Shepard Agent

I would go with the Denon 3803 it's 110x7 that is what I got through 6th ave (online) for 648.06 delivered. The speakers I'm running are Polks(2-rti70's front, 2-rti38's rear, 2-csi-40's center front&rear, 2-fx30's side, SVS pb2+sub). The combo sounds great for both theater and audio.

Dave

5. Luke_Lemmings

Thanks for the suggestion Dave.

I'll give the Denon a listen to and see how it works out.

6. MarkStash

MarkStash Stunt Coordinator

Dave:

Here's what I started to write.....

You wrote - "....Denon 3803 it's 110x7 that is what I got through 6th ave (online) for 648.06 delivered. How did you do that? I just looked online and it says $999.99 - Item is not in stock.

Then, I decided to call them. Turns out, and I saw this somewhere else in this forum, that last week if you ordered the 3802, they'd give you the 3803 (since they were out of stock on the 3802). Long story short, I didn't do quite as well, but it is being shipped to me tomorrow for $698. Thanks.....

Mark

7. Dave Shepard

Dave Shepard Agent

Congrats on the 3803. Sorry but I should have told you how to go about getting the deal glad you figured it out. The 3803 has alot to offer and will drive the Polks very well the hardest ones in your set to drive will be the 10's they have only one-mid and 2-woffers and with a ex-sub and all speakers set to small the woffers will not be doing what they should if anything for HT. Where the 8's that replaced the 70's (that I have)are excellant for front duty with there 2-mids and are a perfect match for your center. This is my observation only and is not meant to offend or upset ya.

Congrats

Dave

8. Dave Shepard

Dave Shepard Agent

I have had my Denon for a couple months now and couldn't be happier. It pushes my setup very well. I have seen here some have had to wait for theirs, hopefully 6th Ave has that straightened out, but rest assured you will recieve the 3803 as the 3802 is no longer being made (discontinued)from what I heard. Good luck guys and hopes it arrives soon.

Dave