Need some help: PC keeps shutting down

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Matthew Cook, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Stunt Coordinator

I have a compaq presario 900 it has the amd athon 1700 processor. Heres the deal about 2 or 3 weeks ago it would just shut off for no reason. So I just stopped using it well I want to get it working again so I turned it on ran for 8 hours then started it shutting off for no reason again. So contacted HP they said that it sounded like the BIOS needed reset so I did what they said restarted it got a blue screen that said that windows was shutting down to save the system. Now when I hit the power buttin the light comes on but I dont hear the fans of the processor or anything working. Please help me out

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

This sounds like a heat related issue. Open up the case and watch what happens with the CPU fan when you power on. If the CPU fan doesn't turn, or turns very slow, then you have your answer.. it runs until heat causes it to shut down.. doing this repeatedly will absolutely kill the CPU.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Yep. I agree that it's a heat issue. Do what is mentioned above. You'll most likely end up replacing the CPU heatsink/fan (or maybe just the fan if possible).

4. Matthew Cook

My laptop used to get pretty hot on the bottom. I opened it up and the fan for the processor wouldn't even move. When I hit the power button nothing I have a blank screen, no fans, the green power light comes on but nothing else. Does that help narrow it down to the processor

5. Matthew Cook

could buring up the processor kill the mother board?

6. DaveNel

DaveNel Second Unit

It could.. Just depends on how hot the processor gets and
    if the chip shorts out. But it can happen..

7. Matthew Cook

what should I do should I take it to a tech have them check it out I can put a processor in so I dont need the tech to do it

8. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Yep. It largely depends on how hot the processor was before the thing went down; a processor way too hot (like some of the Intel Prescotts and some AMD XPs) can cause very bad things to happen to boards, including losing capacitors, etc. which "cook" from the heat. (I've seen a Prescott melt a socket..)

I'd get it checked [​IMG] But, at this point, in my mind, you've narrowed it down to a processor.

9. Matthew Cook

would there be any visiable damage to the motherboard?

10. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

All capacitors on the board should be flush or concave. If they are bowed out, then that's a bad sign [​IMG]

Other bad signs include black marks on the board, melted sockets, etc. [​IMG]

11. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    At this point I would recommend having a trained technician do the troubleshooting. It would make no sense to go out and buy a new processor and try to do a repair yourself when you have no idea what the actual problem is and neither the experience nor the equipment to diagnose it. You could end up with two fried CPUs, a non-working computer and no idea why. Sometimes the best way to save money on a repair is to spend a little and let a professional take a look at the problem.

Regards,

Joe

12. Matthew Cook

the only problem is I live in a small town the place I took it to said that my dvd rom frive is causeing the problem. LOL I could take it to a best buy about 45 minutes away. I was thinking about running over there letting run the tests and then fixing the problem myself. I have the basic knowledge but the troubleshooting on laptops is new to me. I used to do alot with PCs