What's new

Need some help hooking my PS3 up to my receiver (1 Viewer)

AmitT

Auditioning
Hi All,

Like the thread title states, I'm having a problem getting my receiver to pump out the sounds of whatever is playing on my PS3.

My setup is quite simple so I don't understand what I'm doing wrong, then again, I am a newbie at this.

I connected my PS3 to my tv with the HDMI cable and then connected the PS3 to my Sony STR-DE897 (yes, it's sorta old) receiver via the optical cable. It's hooked up to the optical input for TV/SAT on the receiver.

The video works but when I turn on the receiver and crank up the volume, nothing comes out of the speakers. What gives? What have I done wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Amit

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Have you turned out the optical audio outputs in the PS3 menu? I think I read this same question in the last couple of weeks.

-Robert

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Also, make sure that the receiver's TV/Sat input is set to "optical". On most receivers it can be set to optical, coax, or stereo (red/white); if it's defaulted to something else you won't get sound.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
The PS3 default setting is to have the audio come out of the HDMI. Changing it to optical took me a while, since the instructions are not too obvious, and the menu item doesn't suggest much either.

Off the top of my head, there is a menu setting which has a submenu, but you may not realize there is a sub menu. Look through the settings menus, and seek one that has the sub menu pop open when you hit OK, X, or whatever.

(I know that's pretty vague, but I did this a few months ago. If I don't have too many bottles of holiday cheer tonight, I'll try to remember to post a better answer!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikezerby
Recent bookmarks