NEED Some help! Do I need a progressive player or use the 3:2 pulldown in my set?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Fineberg, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Brian Fineberg

Brian Fineberg Second Unit

I am new to HDTV an i jut got a Sony 51hw40. My question is if there would be a huge difference between the TV's 3:2 pulldown and progressive output to a progressive DVD player! I am confused also if the case is better for the dvd player could you suggest the best possible one for under 300.
    -Thank You[​IMG]
    -B

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Brian,
    If you currently have a dvd player that's working well, you don't really need to rush out and buy a new progressive scan model with that tv.
    I have a 57HW40 and one of the new progressive scan JVCs, which can switch from progressive to interlaced output on the fly--see little to no difference.
    Be sure to change the tv type setting on your current player to 16/9.
    If you do decide to go with a progressive scan player, either the new JVC 60 series or the Panasonic RP56 would be good choices for around $229.

3. Brian Fineberg

Brian Fineberg Second Unit

Thanks for the reply! Anyone else have the opinion onthis matter. I am just looking for as many opinions as possible. ight now I am pleased with the picture just wouldlike the BEST possible picture. Oh yes I do have my current player t 16:9.

-Thanks again

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If your TV has a doubler that senses 3-2 pulldown, the improvement by getting a true progressive DVD player and bypassing that is going to be slight. Some viewers will swear by a profound improvement while others will say they can't see a difference.
    Further clouding the issue is that doublers, both in DVD players and in TV sets, vary in quality especially in the way they handle non-film material and film material with glitches in the 3-2 cadence.
    More video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm