What's new

Need some help comparing Disney DVDs to Blu-ray versions (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm trying to weed out some duplicate titles in my collection, and I'm finding the Disney discs are a little tough to figure out. It's hard to determine which bonus features from the DVD editions carried over to the BDs. If anyone has insights on the following, I'm trying to figure out which DVDs I can ditch and which ones I need to hold on to.

I have:
-Aladdin (2 Disc Platinum Edition DVD vs Diamond Edition BD)
-Dumbo (single disc 60th Anniversary DVD vs 70th Anniversary BD)
-The Lion King (2 Disc Platinum Edition DVD vs Diamond Edition 3D BD)
-Sleeping Beauty (2 Disc Special Edition DVD vs 2 Disc Platinum Edition BD)
-Snow White (2 Disc Platinum Edition DVD vs Diamond Edition BD)

I know I have to hold on to the Fantasia DVD box set because not all of those bonuses made it to the BDs. But any insights on the above would be appreciated!

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
In the case of the "Snow White Platinum" vs the "Diamond Edition", the latter adds quite a bit more bonus features -- including an extended version of "Disney through the Decades" -- but leaves off the Barbara Streisand music video and almost all of the audio-only supplements from the original DVD release.

Actually, this is pretty typical of most of the Blu-ray vs DVD Disney releases: Probably with the exception of "Sleeping Beauty", you need to keep the DVD counterparts for their bonus material. The "Aladdin" BD, for example, loses 40 minutes from the excellent "Diamond in the Rough" documentary as well as a text commentary.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I've spent more time than I care to remember, manually comparing content as I acquired the BDs. Of the above titles, the following things were important to me (I don't give a crap about music videos and games):

Fantasia: (yep, no-brainer)
Aladdin: kept Disc 2 for full "making of"
Dumbo: kept 60th anniversary DVD for commentary
Lion King: kept no DVDs (mistake?)
Sleeping Beauty: kept Disc 1 for additional commentary
Snow White: kept the whole Platinum set for sentimental reasons (hmm...)

Those single DVDs are stored in the BD case, with the rest of the contents having been given away or tossed, as appropriate.

I've also kept the most deluxe laserdiscs of each Disney title, but that's another story for another day...

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It looks like The Lion King DVD is worth keeping because it includes the special edition of the film too. The BD appears to be theatrical release only.

Thanks for the reminder on the Sleeping Beauty commentary, I knew there was a reason I hadn't let that go all these years.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I remember that now, about The Lion King. I wonder if the special edition is what was on the LD, and that's why I cut back on the DVD. I don't recall the difference between editions now, anyway.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
The Snow White Platinum DVD is the best DVD I've ever owned. The bonus material is plentiful, the movie presentation is flawless, it comes with an insert, NO COMMERCIALS... just all around IMHO the best DVD Disney ever released,

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks