What's new

Need some help choosing a receiver (1 Viewer)

Shawn*M

Grip
I've been looking at receivers at my local audio shops for the last couple of days and I need some help picking one. Here is what I'm looking at. Yamaha rx-v2500, Pioneer Elite 54tx, HK 635, and Onkyo 702. What is the better one out of these? I like the HK but was concerned about their QC issues. Anyway, if you guys can help me pick the right one I would really appreciate it as I plan on pulling the trigger on one of these either later today or tomorrow. Thanks.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Pretty nice crop of AVR's....

The 54tx is my least favorite of the group. Just doesn't seem up to Elite status to me even though it is badged as such.

The H/K 635 has the most going for it.

I like the sound of Onkyo's a little better, but not enough to sway the choice one way or the other.

I don't have any experience with the new Yamaha lines to give to much of an opinion on it.

RaphaelZ

Agent
Hi,

I can only comment on H/K. I've had the avr 310 for 3years now and am absolutely thrilled about it. My friend (neighbor) has the 520 and he's also very pleased. The sound is clean and solid, customer service has been great if I've had any questions, and the options and flexibility of these amps is unreal. Regarding the QC, I don't like the flimsy banana terminals but otherwise no issues. Highly reccomended.

Good luck

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Depending on the prices i'd probably be most interested in the 635 for its auto-eq feature that includes a subwoofer eq, something the Pioneer MCACC and Yamaha YPAO lack.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I had the 54tx and loved it. It does lack the sub EQ though.
The HK635 seems to be a nice unit though.
If you have any questions on the 54tx let me know as I also wrote up a small review on it.

Shawn*M

Grip
Thanks for all the advice.:) However, Iam still undecided on which one to pick. I went and did some more testing last night and I have ruled out the Onkyo 702. I also listened to the Denon 3805 and it sounded really good. So now I'm thinking about throwing the Denon in the mix. Anyone own this receiver? This will be my first receiver and I want to pick the right one so that I don't regret it in a month or so and think well I should have bought this one or I should have bought that one. Thanks.

Ricky c

Stunt Coordinator
If your throwing the Denon into the mix definatley throw in the Rotel rsx1056.Out of curiosity what speaker setup will you be using.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The Denon 3805 leads the pack as far as I am concerned out of the AVR's you have expressed interest in.

Shawn*M

Grip
The speaker setup I will be using is the Velodyne CHT speaker system. I got a great deal on them directly from velodyne. Aaron Smithski has them hooked up to a parasound 170 wpc amp and he said they crank and ask for more. I can always upgrade them later. I will also be running a SVS sub. I want to thank everyone for the advice.;)

Shiu

Second Unit

I own one. Before that I had a Sony DA4ES hooked up to a 2 channel power amp. I could hear improvement in sound at loud volume. Now with the 3805, I could no longer tell the difference easily. I would like to think that the 3805 has some high quality amps in it.

I have not listened to the HKAVR635, but the 630 sure has a nice sound as well.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
the onkyo 702 is gonna be my choice soon.

has most of the features the higher end units have and you can pick up a refurb for $400

or if you want new I have seen them on clearence at j&r and such. good prices to be found on them now.

the yamaha from what I hear is also a nice unit. but personally I would go with the onkyo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks