What's new

Need some help/advice on home theater setup (1 Viewer)

zozoman

Auditioning
Real Name
Alonzo
Hello everyone, this is my first post on the Home Theater Forum and I have a few questions for you.

Over the past 6 months I have been wanting to set up a projector and sound system in my room, but have not because of a few technical problems I have been worrying about.

The first question I have is about position of the projector. I would like to put it over my window and here is a picture of the area:

Here is the picture of the wall where the image will be projected onto:

The distance from the wall to the windows is about 15 feet give or take a couple of feet. Is this an appropriate distance for a projector?

And now we move on to the next question, getting it all to work. What I really want to do is have the projector hooked up the computer (my computer currently has 2 monitors hooked up to it so I am not sure if I would have to purchase an additional video card just for the projector). As you can see in the first picture is that the projector would be about 5-8 feet away from the computer.

I realize I would most likely need to purchase extension cables to get it to work, but what I am concerned about is how am I going to have the sound system work? I plan to buy home theater speakers, something like these. Or perhaps a different speaker package that you guys recommend. As I was saying, I do not know how I would get these work with the computer. Would I need to buy a receiver or something to make the computer switch over to the projector? (That right here is the most troubling part I have with this setup). I was also thinking that I would buy Y splitter cords for my current speaker set up on my computer and connect them to the home theater speakers, I do not know if that would work or not.

So, in a nutshell I would like to purchase a good home theater projector and sound system. The major problem I will run into is how am I going to have the computer switch over to use the projector speakers instead of the computer speakers.

If anyone can help me out with this I would appreciate it very much! If anyone has any questions about anything or suggestions please let me know.

Thanks for your time,

-Alonzo

gartronics

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garry
Alonzo, In the way of the video hookups you have 2 options. one, you can get a vga splitter which will duplicate the image but the resolution on projector and the monitor will have to be the same which could give you problems if your aspect ratio doesn't match. 4:3 monitor and 16:9 projector will give you stretched image on projector. So option two, Buy a video card for your computer that has multiple monitor support. Then you can run two independent displays from one card. These cards can be gotten cheap too. I would recommend ATI Radeon HD series. As far as how it hooks up it should be as easy as connecting the vga cable to the monitor (blue port) and the Dvi cable to the projector (white port) Most projectors have hook ups for PC (VGA) and DVI . Using VGA will give lower resolution, like 720P and DVI will get you to 1080P which will only matter if you are watching blu ray on it, which you have to have a really powerful pc to do that. What you do for your audio is buy a stereo headphone Y splitter. run one output to your pc speakers and the other to your home theater system. Hope this is helpful to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilsonvn
Recent bookmarks