Need some HD-ready TV advice for my Dad!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by brianacook, Apr 9, 2002.

1. brianacook

brianacook Stunt Coordinator

My Dad is talking about buying an HD-ready TV and I want to make sure he gets what he needs for the best price he can. Here are the details:

He currently has a 42" RPTV that is quite a few years old. One or more of the guns are shot and the picture is horrible. Our cable company will be offering HDTV in the very near future via a Scientific Atlanta box. The HD-ready TV will be used mostly for regular cable programming, whatever HD programming is made available and occasional DVD watching.

Neither of us really know anything about HD-ready TV, so what I'm really looking for, in addition to set recommendations, are websites to educate us about HD-ready TV.

He is interested in nothing larger than a 55" set, widescreen of course, and doesn't want to spend more than $3000. Thanks.

Brian

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Then I'd give a serious looksee at the Toshiba 57HX81. HTF co-owner Ron Esptein has one of these, which has been calibrated by Gregg Loewen.

Now, what questions, specifically, do you have regarding HD-capable widescreen displays?

3. brianacook

Jack,

Thank you for the recommendation. I will definitely check that model out.

As for specific concerns, they revolve mainly around connections and display sizes.

Connections - I have no idea what the decoder box our cable company offers will look like or what outputs it will have. I know it is the latest (just released) box from Scientific Atlanta though. I'm assuming we will use component cables? I thought I read somewhere that component cables were not recommended for analog video signals? I don't know.

Display Sizes - Since much of the programming will be 4:3, I need to know what options there are with this. I know there are many different "modes" you can use. There are just so many terms, that's why I was wondering if there was one place (website) where everything was laid out for you.

I guess once we decide on a model, it will be easier to ask these questions too. Thanks.

Brian

4. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

The Scientific Atlanta 3000hd box which is the newest box uses component outs..Just about all HD boxes utilize component out...

5. brianacook

Mike,

It is the 3100HD box from S.A.

Brian

6. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Typo sorry...

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

No links to give you presently, but there are a number of display options for 4:3 material being presented on the Tosh, including the typical "stretch" feature.

8. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

Hi Briana, I noticed in your topic you are looking for (HD- READY) TV's. In your post you also mentioned about three times your looking for (HD-READY)! The Toshiba 57HX81 is only HD (UPGRADEABLE) not (READY). Also the 57HX81 is by itself about $2999.99 and that was also the most you say your dad wants to spend. You will have to shell out hundreds more for a set top box to make the 57HX81 HD ready. Check with your cable company and see if the box they offer is in fact a HD decoder, and ask them what they will charge you monthly for the box if it is! The Tosh 57HX81 is an excellent TV but just not (READY) as you requested.

Roy.

9. brianacook

Like I said, I know very little about this.

Okay, what we are looking for is a set that will, coupled with a Scientific Atlanta 3100HD box, provide high definition programming. How's that?

Brian (not Briana)

10. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

OOOPS, Sorry Brian. If the 3100 is in fact a HD decoder you should be good to go. The only other thing I can think of is find out how much they will charge you per month to rent the 3100. I do not know if they make you use the 3100, or if you have the option to by your own decoder. Most cable plans even charge you a small monthly fee to rent a remote control for a regular cable box.

Good luck, and sorry again for the Briana mistake.

Roy.

11. brianacook

No problem. I just want to make sure he knows what to get. The cable company hasn't posted any pricing structures for HD yet, but they are testing the channels as I can see the stations listed on my digital cable program guide (HDABC, etc).

12. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

The 3100HD box is an Hd set top box...The cable company charges the same it does for its digital box rental which is about 10 a month...Hd ready and upgradable are used interchangably..they mean the same thing, both requiring a set top box.

13. Scott L

Scott L Producer

14. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

HD ready and HD upgradable are used interchagably...They require an outside STB to receive the HD signals

15. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

Hi Scott, I'm surprised that you never seen any HDTV's being called UPGRADEABLE. In many of the advertisements in our sunday paper here in New York they will say HDTV upgradeable. In fact the TV mentioned in this thread up top, the (Tosh 57HX81) is in one of our electronic stores here in New York (The Wiz). They also have it in their (AD) this week from Sundays paper (page 7) and they also call it HDTV UPGRADEABLE. In other stores here like Best Buy they have fine print that always says, QUOTE->(DIGITAL TV REQUIRES OPTIONAL SET-TOP BOX TO RECEIVE DIGITAL SIGNAL). The reason they have to print either one of the statements above is simple. It is not legal to (mislead) consumers by telling them (it is) or (it can) when in FACT it is not, and can not, (without purchasing or renting additional equipment)! That is called false advertisement!

I also did a five second search on the internet and found tons of AD'S saying HDTV UPGRADEABLE.

Here is just one example from ONECALL! In fact many of their HDTV's that need a set top box are refered to as (HDTV UPGRADEABLE).

Experience true Big Picture and Big Sound on Samsung's new HCL652W HDTV Upgradeable Display Wide Screen TV. Powered by high resolution 7" liquid cooled CRTs, this set is ready to display all the action you can follow. Backed up by a 45- watt, 3-channel audio system, you're center stage and surrounded by Dolby Pro-Logic audio by connecting the audio outputs to a surround sound receiver. Enjoy its superb progressive scan quality picture.

16. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Ok the retailers like to use "upgradeable," but as Mike says they mean the same thing.

17. Roy H

Roy H Stunt Coordinator

LOL, Ok I see what you mean now Scott.[​IMG]