Need some guidance with receivers....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay_Via, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Jay_Via

Jay_Via Stunt Coordinator

hey all,
    thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.
    im lookin for a new receiver to power my HT system. right now im only in DD 5.1 sound but id like to have ProLogicII for directv and also be ready for future upgrades....
    ive been lookin at the HK 320....seems to be a good machine for the price....has the PLII and is 7.1 ch ready. my only concern is power. its rated at 55x5 and 65x2 but ive read that HK's are very powerful even though they may have "low" wattage.
    My fronts are JBL S412Ps:
    S421P
    Rears are generic JBLs (for now) and center is JBL SCenter.
    Sub is a JBL 10", soon to be replaced by and acoustic Visions.
    so my question is, will i be happy with this choice? i dont have any local dealers to give it a try otherwise id go and get one for a week. would there be a better choice in that price range (600-700)?
    thanks for the help,
    Jay

2. Jay_Via

Surely someone has an opinion on this [​IMG]
    jay

3. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

those are some huge main speakers! i can tell you this and that about harman/kardon...

I have an old AVR 20II and it always has plenty of reserve power with very quiet sources and bookshelf speakers (Infinity STerling 2002, average sensitivity)

I have the AVR 320 in a box at my feet (just got here!) and it is rated at 10 watts more per channel than the AVR 20 (for L+R)

You will not have a problem driving those huge JBL towers, but I would recommend building your own monitor/bookshelf mains soon now that you have a semi-serious receiver!

4. Marvin E

Marvin E Stunt Coordinator

The question for me was what does 7.1 ready mean and how does the receiver support future upgrades. I was on the verge of buying a 7.1 receiver, but I decided not to and here is the primary reason: the "7.1 receivers" being sold now have either a 6.1 decoder, such as DD EX, DTS ES Matrix, DTS Discrete or the manufacturer has their version of 6.1 hardware. The 7.1 receivers I like have 7.1 preamp input/outputs and have two amplifiers that drive two rear center speakers. But here is what you have to consider: there is currently no 7.1 DD or DTS format. What this means is the 7.1 receivers don't have built in decoders to support 7.1 software because there isn't any. When a 7.1 format is developed, you will have to do one of two things: either buy an external 7.1 preamp processor with preamp outputs and connect it to your 7.1 ready receiver or buy a new receiver with a built-in 7.1 decoder. I was about to shell out between $600 to $1000. I'm going back to my original philosophy which is buy obsolete and save. Right now I have a homemade DD EX and DTS ES system that works great...I'm not trying to change your mind. From the reviews I've read, DPLII and 7 channel stereo is really cool. If you have the bucks, go for it. Just some things to consider...there are currently no standards when it comes to surroud sound. I'm surprised the Dolby Labs haven't developed a discrete rear center format. Also, there are rumors about the new Star Wars episode in a true 7.1 format. I'm going to wait until things settle down or go on clearance...

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Buy obsolete and save, like you said. There aren't really a large number of EX/ES 6.1 titles yet either. I have 6.1 with 7.1 input, but I am still using it with only 5 speakers and it sounds just fine to me.

6. Jay_Via

thanks for the replies guys....i still like the idea of the HK even if i just used the PLII (does anyone NOT like PLII?)

i was curious as to the power issues with the HK but it seems like it should have no problem driving my JBLs, so i may end up getting that. i just wish that i could find a dealer in my area that i could test one out for a week.

anyone have any other recommendations for recievers that would fit the bill for me in the 5-600 range?

thanks,

Jay

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

8. Jay_Via

bumpin back to the top for more opinions please [​IMG]
    Jay

9. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Go to Audioreview.com and read some user experiences with HK's. I can tell you from demoing the 320 in a hifi store that power will likely NOT be an issue unless you have unusually large space. I wouldn't call the 320 a screamer, but its power rating is conservative. OTOH, I was very concerned after reading many reviews here and other places about realiability issues with the HK's. In fact, I pretty much crossed HK and Marantz off my list for that reason.

10. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Show me the money!!! Hey Jay!!! How much green stuff are you willing to give to a dealer?????
    This will determine which units to narrow your search for. I have the cerwin vegas 715's and will get a set of jbl 312's for the surround channels. Jbl makes a great speaker.
    I like the full bass from all directions. Sub wolfers are great but, in my opinion, I prefer an extra wide range speaker. I have the jbl 28's for my centers.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Jay_Via

nice surrounds earl! wish i could afford some surrounds like that right now, but i just got a 65" widescreen Toshiba (LOVE IT)

plannin on gettin a new sub soon and then a reciever....maybe someday ill get some surrounds like that!

id like to only drop 5-600 on a reciever if possible

jay

12. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator