need some figures for xbox and ps1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard cash, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Richard cash

Richard cash Stunt Coordinator

i have searched the net but am not very good at using search engines to find exactly what i want.

i just wondered if anyone had the figures for the total numbers of xbox sold so far and the numbers for psx when it had been out only as long as the xbox.

i dont think that a direct comparison can be made with sales figures between xbox and ps2 because sony has an established customer database from all its fans from psx. maybe when microsoft bring out its next gen. console that can be compared with sony ps3 but at the moment its just unfair to compare.

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I'm someone here will be able to help you with the numbers. Keep in mind that the PS/N64 era was a different market compared to what the market's like now though.

3. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

Brian hit it. I don't have numbers for you, but I've sold both during their first year. Obviously, XBOX is doing much better in unit sales and dollars generated. However, gamers today don't think twice about plunking down $200 bucks on a console. Back in 95-96, there weren't many hardcore "gamers" and those who did buy video games were used to Nintendo made systems who barely cracked a hundred bucks when bundled with a game and 2 controllers!! My wife and I bought a Playstation when they were $200 and folks thought we were crazy, but we had a few days left on the honeymoon and she was bored ( she is freakin' awesome!). Anyway, they moved well, but not as well. The impending doom of the N64 loomed large and spanked hard Christmas of 96/Winter of 97! Ahh, the good old "32bit vs 64 bit" battles!! Now we have polygon arguments - we've advanced.

Matt

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

5. Romier S

Romier S Producer

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Romier,
    You are a video game encylopedia. We (the forum) seriously need to get you a job in "the industry". I suggest we all partake in a letter-writing campaign to all the big names. [​IMG]