What's new

need some figures for xbox and ps1 (1 Viewer)

Richard cash

Stunt Coordinator
i have searched the net but am not very good at using search engines to find exactly what i want.

i just wondered if anyone had the figures for the total numbers of xbox sold so far and the numbers for psx when it had been out only as long as the xbox.

i dont think that a direct comparison can be made with sales figures between xbox and ps2 because sony has an established customer database from all its fans from psx. maybe when microsoft bring out its next gen. console that can be compared with sony ps3 but at the moment its just unfair to compare.

Brian E

Screenwriter
I'm someone here will be able to help you with the numbers. Keep in mind that the PS/N64 era was a different market compared to what the market's like now though.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Brian hit it. I don't have numbers for you, but I've sold both during their first year. Obviously, XBOX is doing much better in unit sales and dollars generated. However, gamers today don't think twice about plunking down $200 bucks on a console. Back in 95-96, there weren't many hardcore "gamers" and those who did buy video games were used to Nintendo made systems who barely cracked a hundred bucks when bundled with a game and 2 controllers!! My wife and I bought a Playstation when they were $200 and folks thought we were crazy, but we had a few days left on the honeymoon and she was bored ( she is freakin' awesome!). Anyway, they moved well, but not as well. The impending doom of the N64 loomed large and spanked hard Christmas of 96/Winter of 97! Ahh, the good old "32bit vs 64 bit" battles!! Now we have polygon arguments - we've advanced.

Matt

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Obviously, XBOX is doing much better in unit sales and dollars generated.
I don't have those numbers for you either but I strongly disagree with the above statement. Xbox sales aren't even close to that of the original Playstation at this point in each life cycle.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Xbox sales aren't even close to that of the original Playstation at this point in each life cycle.
True. The Playstation 1 launched in September of 1995. By August of 1996 the PS1's userbase had increased to around 7.2 million units worldwide (Mind you Sony had already hit 1 million in Japan before even launching in the US). Compared to Xbox's 4-4.5 million worldwide sales.
source (after a quick search):
PS1 FAQ
Now if you want a REALLY scary item to mull over check this out:
PlayStation game consoles cumulative production and shipment reached 40 million units by August 21st, 1998.
Thats right, 1998 a full 3+ years after the PS1 lauched it reached 40 million in worldwide shipments. The PS2 hit 30 million just a short while ago and looks to be ready to hit that 40 million marker (if it hasnt already) sooner than the PS1 did. Thats growth!

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Romier,
You are a video game encylopedia. We (the forum) seriously need to get you a job in "the industry". I suggest we all partake in a letter-writing campaign to all the big names. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks