Need some dvd recomendations

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chad Isaacs, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

I am sure this has been posted many times but now its my turn.Over the past 4 or 5 years since my first dvd player I have collected 3-6 titles per week( I am a sucker for the buy 2 get one free deal that my local rental store has 365 days a year) but alot of the titles are just the run of the mill big dollar Hollywood filcks.

My tastes are turning,Over the past year or so,the film I watch the most is Amile(I hope I spelled it right,its out on loan right now) and a few others such as Green Dragon and stuff like that.At the same time I love good war movies,my favorite at this time is We were soldiers with Black hawk down a close second.

So with theese things in mind,shoot me some titles.I am interested in meaningful thought provoking titles,I do not care if they are in subtitles or really how good the transfer/audio or video is...I would perfer great but I know thats not always the case.

Thanks

2. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

3. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I can recommend 2 films from the 30s

M by Fritz Lang -- crime thriller

Modern Times by Charlie Chaplin -- social satire about 20th century problems (very funny)

M has been available from The Criterion Collection for quite some time and Modern Times just came out in a beautiful release from Warner Bros.

4. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Band Of Brothers

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

If you liked Amelie, you may want to try Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy. These are three wonderful films.

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    11 Good War Movies on DVD:

Lawrence of Arabia
    Paths of Glory
    Apocalypse Now
    Das Boot
    Platoon
    All Quiet on the Western Front
    Full Metal Jacket
    Patton
    The Deer Hunter
    Glory
    Battleship Potemkin

4 Good POW Movies on DVD (a subset deserving its own category)

Stalag 17
    Bridge on the River Kwai
    The Great Escape
    The Grand Illusion

Regards,

7. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

If you like war movies, check out the "Lost Battalion" with Rick Schroeder. It is one of those films that was overshadowed by better known theatrical films. This one was made by TNT. IMHO it is almost as good as "We Were Soldiers."

If you liked the War mixed with Horror Genre, try "Dog Soldiers" which is a good mix of battle and werewolves. A gem I discovered by accident.

"Gettysburg" is another of my favorites in the war genre.

Like you, I enjoy the classics. There is a James Cagney flick called "White Heat" that is nothing short of superb, although I don't know if it is available on DVD. Pick up the original "Time Machine" with Rod Taylor and Yvette Mimieux (the newer version with Guy Pearce disappointed me). The transfer from film to DVD is excellent. Finally, "The Desperate Hours" with Humphrey Bogart and Frederick March is another all-time classic that just became available on DVD.

8. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

9. Jeff Swearingen

Jeff Swearingen Second Unit

Jeff
    I will usually buy anything by Hitchcock or Kurosawa or Billy Wilder - even as a blind purchase, but I'd highly recommend...

Seven Samurai (Criterion)
    Yojimbo (Criterion) - yeah its not a good transfer but its a hell of a movie
    Throne of Blood (Criterion)
    Vertigo (Robert Harris is awesome!)
    Citizen Kane SE
    Rebecca (Criterion) - this still creeps me out more than any other movie I own...and the transfer is incredible

10. Josh Sieg

Josh Sieg Second Unit

You're gonna hear me talk about this set alot, but I love it so much.

Pearl Harbor - The Director's Cut
    [​IMG]
    It's probably going to be the best looking set in your collection. It also has awesome sound.

Fight Club - 2 disc special edition
    [​IMG]
    Again, awesome movie, awesome packaging. It's out of print now, but you can probably get a copy somewhere.

11. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

THanks guys,this is great,keep em coming.Josh,I own the 2 disc of fight club,have since it first streeted 3 years ago(gosh,has it really been that long) and I will not consider Pearl Harbor for very personal reasons

12. Cary T

Cary T Screenwriter

I'll recommand Talk To Her and May, which will release July 15th.