What's new

Need some comfortable shoes... Business Casual type. (1 Viewer)

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I work on my feet all day and the shoes I have now are killing my feet. Does anyone have suggestions as to great comfortable shoes for being on my feet all day long. I wish I could wear tennis shoes to work but I can't. Business casual is good as long as they look nice.

What about those suposed comfort inserts?

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
My husband swears by Eastland shoes:
http://www.eastlandshoe.com/eshop/default.asp

They have a lot of padding and he says they are very comfortable, even when standing or walking all day.

As far as inserts go and if you have a lot of foot pain, you may want to visit a podiatrist. I used to have pain when standing for long periods of time and always thought it was my shoes. After visiting a podiatrist, I was told I have extremely high arches and the lack of support was causing pain. I got some custom inserts (molded to my feet) made and they are wonderful!

The padded inserts just provide padding, but they don't support your feet where you need it. I know a few other people who had the custom inserts made and they love them too. They are worth every penny. Just something to think about.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Merrells.

My dad is a 55 year old diabetic (problems with feet). He's also a pharmacist and must standup throughout his 10-12 hour shifts. Merrells are the only things he'll wear. I've got a pair and love them. A lot of them look funny, but they're very comfortable and somewhat reasonably priced ($60-$150).

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I have very odd shaped feet, and Bostons are the only thing I have found which are broad enough at the toe that I don't have to wear 4Es and have my heels slop around. As far as padding, I have to wear hard plastic inserts in my shoes or my arches [which are high when there's no weight on them] collapse completely. :frowning: I find that, when I'm on my feet for long periods, the thin Dr. Scholl's foam pads cushion just enough to keep a little spring in my step.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Three suggestions—all of which should work well. Which one is right for you depends on how casual you consider ‘business casual’ and how much of a business image you want to present:

·Timberland—you might find these unacceptable in a business setting, but they do make some very comfortable shoes. I’m not aware of their current models, but they used to have a half boot that looked good, had some ankle support and was comfortable. Most of them do have a very outdoor look, however.
·Rockports: these are extremely comfortable and they have some models that look pretty much like a dress shoe. One of the real differences between these and dress shoes are the thickness of the soles (here they don’t look like a dress shoe at all). If you stay away from the very casual models, I think that this could be a perfect choice.
·Allen Edmonds: These are somewhat expensive, but are by far the most comfortable dress shoes I have ever owned. I wear these exclusively for work and have for many years—ever since I bought my first pair. Stay away from the complete business look (e.g. wingtips) and you can find pairs that will fit into a business casual look on the floor and in the boardroom. BTW, after I went from straight suits to business casual, I stayed with these shoes. They are not walking shoes however, so they may not be so comfortable as the Rockports.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I love Florsheim Comfortechs. Very light, nice arch, good rubber sole (and they go through airport metal detectors)!

Another trick is to find a nice pair of dressy shoes, buy them one size larger, and use an insert, like an arch support, or Dr. Shoals.

The most important thing I've found is to support the arch. I was on my feet most of the day, walking on stone floors in an office complex, and I developed planters fasciaitis, which is where a tendon in the arch becomes irritated. It hurts like hell. After that, I've always bought my shoes with good archs, or put in arch supports.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
The best shoes I ever owned are Eccos. They are extraordinary comfortable, well-made and have replaceable inserts. A good place to look for shoes is Zappos.com. They also carry hundreds of other brands. Prices are usually at list (some sales from time to time), but they ship free and charge no tax in most states. All sales are returnable at no charge and they usually get you the shoes in 2 days. For "business casual" I recommend the "Seawalker". Go here:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/27393/c/72.html

Peter

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
I wear Eastland's, along with two other guys's and one woman at our office. Very comfy!

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

Same here. I wear them daily for 10-12 hours standing mostly. You can get them at the outlet mall fairly resonable.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
I love Ecco's too. Not the best looking, but ultra comfortable mine were water proof to the top. I could stand in a puddle up to the ankle and nary a leak. I had a pair when I worked on a shipping dock at Nordstrom. I wore them everyday for five years and the sole was barely worn. Still have them 6 years later

"Clarks" are also a very comfortable shoe like sponges. Hold up very well too.

Try this place.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/...42/qx/dept.htm
Sometimes they have great deals.

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
I had a pair rockports they were indeed comfy, but they fell apart after about 8 months. I have a pair of Doc Martens that I have had now for about 3 years and they are Just starting to show some ware on them.

They are the most comfy shoes I have ever owned. There are many styles that should fit the bill in the work place

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Many good recommendations here. I've been wearing shoes by Sketchers for the last 5 years or so, and at the moment, I am wearing this...

The "Sketchers Collection" line is a nice balance between style and comfort.

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator
Cole Hanh, which is owned by Nikes, has a line of shoes with "air" on it. They are very comfortable, almost as comfortable as sneakers.

James T

Screenwriter
I know I already recommended Aldens, but I forgot to add what I wore before them(I'll just include dress and casual that I wore for years)...

I went through a couple of Doc Martens(they usually last 3 years), a Military dress boot and a pair of Dockers boots.

Although Doc Martens were comfortable, the Military boot had pretty good comfort as well, but the Aldens had complete foot support. For some reason, it looks like I stand straighter with them on.
I'm on my first pair, but I've known people who wore them for 10 years and only replaced the heel a couple times.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Don't you mean Cole Hann? If so then they are very comfortable but make sure you don't get the ones with leather soles. They wear out in 6 months tops. The only reason I never bought another.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks