Need some clarification on sub levels

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Greg Haynes, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Looking to purchase a PB2+ soon and was wondering why I keep seeing posts with people setting the sub level at different positions. Aren't you supposed to set the sub level to max and then use your receiver / pre-pro to adjust accordingly?

I just keep reading about people setting the level at the 11 o'clock position or 12 o'clock position. I was always told to max the level out and then adjust using your receiver.

Is this wrong in setting the sub level to max? Negatives to doing this?

Thanks in advance.

2. terence

terence Supporting Actor

NO! Please do not do that when get your PB2+. Start off @ half and set your Pre/Pro to -5 and go from there. You should never max out your sub amp.

3. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Here is great advice from Ed. Since the PB2+ is stocked tune @ 25Hz stick with that setting first.

4. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

http://www.123dj.com/amps/qsc/rmx-1450.html

__________________________________________________ _________

Hi Greg,

Your thinking of a amp like this. It is used to run a passive sub. I have always turned the gain to full on mine in the past and then adjusted the gain on my receiver for calibration purposes. As of a week ago I now turn the gain to 3/4 and recalibrated. Follow terences advice. A general resting position on your gain setting will most likely be around 25-40% maybe a little more..

5. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

unless your speakers are being massively powered, i seriously doubt you'll be able to run the sub's amp full bore and still be able to calibrate it relative to the other speakers