What's new

Need some cell phone advice on a Nokia 6010. (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
I don’t know “Jack” about cell phones. I’ve never carried one and the only reason I’m buying one is because my family won’t relent. I’m on the phone most of the day at work, so talking on the phone after work is not a priority. I want a cheap stick phone, no camera, no nothing. So if I drop it, sit on it or lose it, it’s no big deal. I’ll be carrying the phone, but won’t leave it on all the time. I live in the north Atlanta area and 90% of all the calls will be made in the Atlanta Metro area. I’ll be using a T-Mobile “Pay as Go” plan to start. I wanted to buy a used phone off eBay. I’ve found single mode and dual mode 6010’s. The “Dual Mode” phone are significantly more expensive. Why would I need a “Dual Mode” phone? Also, any suggestions on buying a used phone for a “Pay as you Go” plan? Thanks for reading my long post!

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'd advise to go howard forums for advise about purchasing a phone, carrier, and technology since you might can find someone in your area who can share their actual usage experience in your neck of the woods.

Nokia 6010 is a good phone (great durability, good reception, and about average audio; Nokia is my favorite brand of phone) but if you intend to only stick with tmo for prepaid don't waste your money on a dual mode phone, tmo prepaid doesn't allow roaming on analog or other gsm networks just tmo's own native gsm network (limitation of prepaid services is that you can only use the carrier's provided network and not roam on networks of similar technology). I would also check into the minutes lifetime (when you buy prepaid minutes most services have a timer on the minutes, you may have to use purchased minutes within 30, 60, 90, or one year limit depending on how much you buy upfront). I also advise if you have the time to call all prepaid companies and find out what their activation fee for prepaid services are at, it may shock you that you can buy a new phone at Wally world after rebates cheaper than buying a used phone and activating it later separately. Hope this helps you out. :emoji_thumbsup:

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Robert thanks for the great feedback! You were right, I bought a new T-Mobile Nokia 6010 at "Wally's World" last night for $39 and got an hour of free air time to boot. No activation fee and no $1.00 per day fee like Cingular. A $25 refill card lasts for 60 days, with is just fine. I like the features on the phone, just wish it wasn't all silver. Guess I can a replacement the face plate.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
No problem John, I work in the business but notice certain patterns in the business (such as activation fees and rebates for new customers) that may work for your benefit. Ebay is a great place to go to get a used phone if you don't want to extend your contract but it seems with all prepaid services if you want a basic phone they will usually give it to you if you're willing to deal with the hassele of a rebate or a low fee and minutes (still cheaper than a phone alone on ebay). I still recommend howard forums for anyone interested in mobile technology and communications because most of the information is from users of the service which to me is always less biased than employees which should really help you out more. :emoji_thumbsup:

SarahG

Second Unit

I agree. I'm looking at the LG vx8100 right now and I've been going over there to look up information about the phone. That's a great phone.

I've had a little experience with the Nokia's and I've had good luck with them in the past. Don't know a ton about this phone, but it seems like a good one. I'm partial to the 8100 right now, though.

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
I have the LG 8100 and really like it.

The UI is much better than my previous Motorola phones (V600 and MPX200, both terrible phones IMO.)

The "boot up" time is much faster than my previous phones, the reception is great and the keypad buttons have just the right amount of resistance.

The only down side is its size, its huge.

Jeff

SarahG

Second Unit

Good to hear you like it. I wasn't too set off by the size when I saw the phone. I don't think it'll be that noticeable for me.

Have you used Bluetooth on it yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks