What's new

Need some beginners HELP! (1 Viewer)

Eljay

Auditioning
I have two upright, (tweeter, midrange, subwoofer)pioneer CS-B9000, 6.3 ohms, 160 watt speakers that have tremendous sound.
I am going to purchase a home theater receiver soon and would like to know if I can keep these as part of the set up and just purchase the other three speakers (center and surrounds)after the fact?

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
You could do that, only concern is the centre channel, it's best to have a matching centre with your front speakers. You want pans accross the front to be seamless. You could also probably live without the centre for now and play centre in phantom mode.

You could for instance shop around for some good surround speakers that you like (maybe bookshelves). Something you like "towers" of as well. Get those to fullfill the surround experience and at a later date, get the matching front three speakers.

There are a million options!

Eljay

Auditioning
James,
First, thank you so much for the time spent here to help.
What did you mean when you said "it's best to have a matching centre with your front speakers", did you mean name brand or something else?

Another question is, can I mix 8 ohm speakers and the cuurent 6.3 ohm speakers when I set up or is that a no-no.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
It is best to match not only name brand but also series. IE Paradigm has many "series" of speakers. Monitor/Studio/Cinema etc.

The speakers within each series are timbre matched, which means basically they sound the same for voices and such. What you don't want is your centre to be so different from your mains that say a motorcycle crossing in from pans from left as a harley to middle as a moped to right as a harley.

Hope that explains it, they should sound as identical as possible.

As far as mixing speaker impedance, that is iffy. It really depends on the amplification, some can take a 6 ohm load. I'll bet 6.3 since that is so specific is nominal meaning that's the average, they may well be 8 ohm speakers. It's best not to mix and match though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks