What's new

Need some basic help getting video connected.. (1 Viewer)

Jim_Lan

Agent
Can anyone help me out with a few basic questions..
First my DVD player and new receiver both refer to component video as Y, Cb, Cr.. but my TV has lines labeled Y, Pb, Pr.. are these the same thing? are they both component video connections?

Second.. The new receiver is a Marantz 8200.. Seems to suggest that for TV I should have my cable go to TV and then use video out from TV to route video to receiver. Unfortunately the TV has no video out, just audio.. My current set up is older pro logic and I have the cable TV going to VCR first and then sending signal from VCR to my receiver. Do I do the same thing with the 8200..

thanks

Barry_W

Auditioning
Yes the connections are the same. Just match the colors red, blue and green. Y = Green. Cb & Pb - Blue and Cr & Pr = Red. You want to run the audio and the video from the cable box into the Marantz. Let that do all the switching. Hope it helps.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
If your cable box has just an antenna coax jack for output you cannot connect it to your AV receiver. You must connect it directly to the TV (or to a VCR that in turn is connected to your A/V receiver.)
If the cable box has a yellow video out jack or an S-video jack you can conntec that to your receiver. There must be a video cable of the same kind from the receiver to the TV.
A TV does not need a video out except to feed a second TV with the same program such as in a school auditorium. The video output from your AV receiver comes into the TV. which is the final destination. The audio out (if any) from the TV goes to the receiver if you wish to route the sound from channels tuned by the TV to your sound system, which is optional.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video,htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks