Need some amp suggestions!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Curt Badry, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Curt Badry

Curt Badry Stunt Coordinator

I'm waiting for my AV12's to arrive (acoustic elegance), so i'm shopping around for an amp to power them. I'm going to make two seperate enclosures. My design will not accomodate a plate amp. So i'm going to need a dedicated amp to drive them both. I was looking at the Crown K1 from SVS,looks like it would do the trick nicely. 550Wx2 i believe. I'd like some opinions on this amp or others you guys might think will work as good or better for my situation.
    I'm planning to keep these subs for a long time but reality is the upgrade bug keeps hitting me every year or so. I hope that's not the case this time,regardless, i want an amp that will be able to power whatever sub i might end up with down the road.

Thanks,
    Curt

2. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

Curt,
    You really can't go wrong with the K series Crown amps. Solid power, reliability, and no fan noise - but you do pay a premium for these conveniences. If you can deal with some fan noise, the lower price Crown/QSC/Crest and even Behringer (2500) are decent choices. Beware of the size of pro amps and possible input sensitivity matching. Those drivers should serve you well untill you want some "real" bass!
    JP

3. Curt Badry

Jim thanks for the imput. The "k" series is alittle pricey, still looking around, but without being able to listen to them, i'm not sure how loud the fans actually are.
    Ps, Just curious, but what do you consider to be "real bass"?

4. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

Some people find that the pro amps fan noise (think noisy computer fan) is objectionable, others don't - I have had to mod mine with silent fans but I may just be picky. I was just kidding about the "real" bass, although my current systems might qualify (Earthquake Supernova MkV-15 in the small system, and two Blueprint 1803 drivers with a 3,200 watt pro amp in the large system - with two more on the way for a quadruple 18" driver IB set-up!!!)
    JP

5. Patrick D

Patrick D Stunt Coordinator

A quick check of the Nady X900 I just got in shows about 50db 1 inch from the front of the case with both fans running. About what you'd expect from a noisy computer case. I haven't gotten new fans in yet, but I would think replacing the two stock units with some quiet ones (like $2.99 ea.) would solve the noise issue. They look like stock 80mm units from the outside. The ones I've used in the past for PC cases are generally silent. Alternatively, the amp would probably be fine inside an enclosed rack.

6. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

why not look at Crowns DC line?

two of the 300s can be had on ebay for around 500 shipped, and will be around 600X2 (4 ohm load I am guessing).

Also look at THD of whatever amp you are looking at, even though they are powering subs, no one ever wants distortion. (i am not a big fan of tube amps)

7. Curt Badry

Thanks guys. I appreciate the imput. so generally speaking, any Quiet PC fan will do the trick if i ended up purchasing an amp with a fan?

8. Patrick D

Patrick D Stunt Coordinator

I can't speak for other amps other than the Nady XA's, but it looks like the fans in those can be swapped (I won't know for sure until I do it). I got the idea from this thread.

Option 2 is to get two plate amps and build small boxes just for them. I actually prefer that anyway, than hacking the sub box open so an amp can stick out of it.

9. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

One thing to remember is that fans in pro amps come in different varities. Some use DC fans (12 or 24 volt), some use AC fans, some are two speed, some are variable speed. Swapping is easy, if you have the right replacement.
    JP

10. Tom Rosback

Tom Rosback Stunt Coordinator

I have been using a Behringer 2500 to drive a Tumult in a sealed enclosure. This amp is a great value at $300. I'm running it bridged, 2400W. I did a review, it is up on my website. It uses DC fans that are thermostatically controlled. They are pretty quiet, but definitely noticeable. I can measure the spl if anyone is interested.

11. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Where do you guys get your fans from. I have a Crown CE1000 and have been wanting to replace the fan. I had Crown send me a lower current model fan but the noise is still close to the same. I would need a 24V DC fan 120mm. They seem like they would be hard to find because most PC fans are only 12V. I havent been able to find one anywhere that will allow me to purchase just 1. Anyone have any ideas?

12. Tom Rosback

Tom Rosback Stunt Coordinator

Try Mouser, Newark, or Digi-Key. Here's a link to Pabst DC fans from the Mouser catalog. They have 24 VDC versions. Not sure how the noise will stack up, but at least its a start.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/622/1317.pdf