Need Some Advice.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry_P, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Larry_P

Larry_P Auditioning

Hi, I'm a new member to the home theater forum. I am interested in upgrading my current home theater. I hope you can be of assistance to me. I currently have the following:

50 inch Hitachi RPTV (Non HD)
    Pioneer VSX-305 receiver (From 1997)
    5 Decent speakers
    KLH 120 watt Subwoofer
    Philips DVD Player
    Syphonic Stereo VCR (CHEAP)
    Xbox
    Basic Cable tv

My plan is to upgrade my current my A/V receiver. I am 15 years and my dad is getting Digital cable for a family Christmas present. I will also get $1000 from my grandparents. But I want to put at least $600 in the bank. Enough of my life story I have $400 for a budget. Actually I want to spend about 300-350. So here are the receivers I am considering:

1. Onkyo SR-500
    2. Sony STR-DE885
    3. Yamaha HTR-5540

What do you recommend?

I am really pushing toward the Onkyo because of the reviews I have read. The only thing that is holding me back is my medium to large family room. I don't know if the Onkyo has enough power to fill it. Yet my current receiver is fine (But I was using 4 ohm speakers instead of 8 like the receiver was supposed to power) I will be using the receiver for 3 Digital inputs (Xbox, DVD, Digital cable box) and one analogue input (VCR).

Thanks for your help in advance.

2. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

Hi Larry,
    Sell something and get an extra $100 and get the HK 520 via APEX (look at the top of this- Receivers/Seperates/Amps forum)
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=111924
    I think it said like $496 shipped or something like that. That is a bargain.
    But it ends tonight!!!
    All the best,
    John