need some advice

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Blake M, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Blake M

Blake M Auditioning

So I just joined and am a novice audiophile. I am finally in a position to begin building a quality home theater system but need a little advice. Right now, I have two JBL S26s (the original gold speaker ones) and am about to buy the JBL EC35 center. I want to use the S26s as rear speakers eventually but need some advice on fronts. I am considering a floor standing model but live in a small apartment. I fear that I can't get the maximum quality out of a floor model speaker because the volumes will have to be relatively low. I have no idea where to start on the sub as well. I've read several postings that believe that the sub is more critical than the center, but I know I need to cover the fronts. Please help me to complement my S26s.(Also, any thoughts on the JBL S- center over the EC35)?

Blake M

2. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

What is your budget?

If you def. plan on using the s26's for fronts, then you need the S-Center, the Ec35 is not voice matched to the studio series.

If you are planning on going with brand new fronts, and your budget is around $1200 or so for all 3, I HIGHLY reco the Ascend 340m for L/R and the 340c for center and use your S26's for rears.

Matching th rears is somewhat important, but NO where near matching the front 3.

Sub is another story. What is your budget for a sub.

It's all about the $$$$ in this game and wat you klike best in your price range. A decent budget sub can run you $150 for a Dayton 10 (which was my 2nd sub) up to $875 which is what my current SVS 16-46PC+ runs new (bought mine used) to over $1200 for an SVS Ultra/2.

I have the Acend 340's across the front with JBL E10 sides and N24 rears. Sounds pretty damn awesoem with my SVS, REALLY happy for movies and pleasently surprised for music (which i did not listen to much of on my HT before the Ascends).

If your budget is not that high for the front 3, then I would look @ the JBL EC35 center and get E80 floors as your mains. They are excellent (the best in class IMHO) for the $$$$. You can get the Ec35 and pair e80's for about $500 these days.

Obviosuly the Ascends are more at closer to $1100 with the matching stands for themians ( I highly reco), but they are a step up from the JBL

No mater which fronts/center you go with, you will be ok with the s26 for surround duty until you can afford to upgrade them to match the front 3.

Need your budget, room size and listening habits to help you a bit more.

3. Blake M

Blake M Auditioning

I am trying to build mid priced system. I had looked at the E80s with the EC35 originally. However I found a pair of the 340m's for $348 + shipping on Ascend website. I had also considered the SVS subs. It seems like the extra couple hundred dollars for the smaller sub is well spent. The room size is giving me the problems. It is very small- about 15 x 20. I think that both surrounds and rears are not necessary. I know the quality is sacrificed but I just don't see how i can swing it unless there are very small surrounds mounted high up. Besides it opens up more budget room per speaker if less are included and that could make a difference. The system will be used primarily for music. If I had to choose which to tailor the system to is would def be music.

4. MikeyWeitz

Where did you see a pair of 340m's for $348 + shipping? That's a nice deal and would jump on it if I were you.

Also add in the matching stands for 100 or so I think. Get the 340c for the center, move the s26's to surround duty.

I would reco at least the PB-10ISD for a sub and possibly a model up for your room.

15x20 is not a small room.

Bigger then mine I think (or real close) and I have an SVS 16-46PC+ with a 525 watt amp ( Ilive in apt too).

If you have it in the budget, step up to a PB 12ISD.

With the Ascend front 3-340s and an SVS PB10 or PB-12, you will have a pretty mean system for the $$$.

It will blow you away :)

What receiver do you have or are you going with?

5. Blake M

Blake M Auditioning

Sorry the pair was $548 but still a good deal i think. It was on the Ascend acoustics website. The thread won't let me post links yet. The receiver I have is a Sony (don't know the model) but it can handle 5.1 (another reason to go with a 5.1 system over a 7.1) with 100w per channel, digital video, etc. Looking at the Ascend website, I may be good going with the smaller 170s and the 340 center for the fronts. Its a bit cheaper and if i need more power I can easily add the 340ms and move the 170s to the rear, the S26s to the surround.

6. MikeyWeitz

I have not heard the 170's, but they are supposed to be god.
    I say tough it out nd buy the 340's across the front. YOU WILL NOT be dissapointed!