Need some advice regarding projectors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jacob-M, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Jacob-M

Jacob-M Auditioning

I am currently looking into getting a projector for watching TV, DVD's, video games. I know almost nothing about them. I have looked at some, but I don't know what is good, what is bad, what the specs mean, etc. What brands are considered good deals? I am willing to spend around 1500-1600 for projector + screen (is that wishful thinking?), but I would definetly go lower if possible. Maybe this is just out of my range. I don't want a piece of sh*t, but I don't need the best thing there is. I saw a few models for around this price. Unless they are complete crap, I don't want to go much above it.

I also want some feedback from those who already have projectors. Do you think they are worth it? Good image quality? What kind of room do you use it in? How big do you run it at? Is this a big enough step up from a pretty low end 32" TV to warrant spending 1500 dollars? How is the image w/ TV, DVD's, HDTV, and videogames? Is maintenence a problem? How hard is it to get it mounted on the ceiling? If I do end up going for it, what are some good screens? Is it worth it to get a better screen, or are cheap ones pretty comparable?

I know I asked a lot of questions, but you guys don't have to answer all of them. I would just like some feedback. Any help would be great.

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

If I had this budget, I think I'd choose this:

Infocus X1:
    $1479.95

SVGA native .55" DMD
    Faroudja DCDi processing
    1000 ANSI lumens
    2000:1 on/off contrast (great for movies)
    3000 hour lamp life
    6.8 lbs

Then, I'd use the money left over for a DIY screen, maybe parkland plastic and some ScreenGoo.

3. Jacob-M

Jacob-M Auditioning

Thanks, that also brings up a more obvious point: where would I want to go to buy one of these things? Where would I go for a screen?

4. Jacob-M

Jacob-M Auditioning

Anyone? Also, I couldn't find that Infocus projector (although it does look great) for less than about 1600. Where did you get that price?

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If you can find it, then that is a fairly good choice for your setup. I second the DIY screen as well. So a search using "DIY" and "Screen" andd you should pull up some good info.
    Regarding the X1, see if this helps you out...
    http://www.epinions.com/Infocus_X1_D...tor_Projectors

6. TanT

TanT Stunt Coordinator

Try 2buystore they have it at $1392.32

Let me know how it performs. Looking to buy one myself.